clingy toddler troubles.. please help

My son just turned 16 months. he's adventurous and a really good kid but lately he's been very clingy, for example today i tried to put him down to do laundry and he went into hysterics. My mom suggested i let him "help" with some small tasks so he feels involved but again as soon as i turned my back on him he threw a fit. Even when i try to play he'd rather me be holding him. He's always enjoyed attention but he's never been this bad before, im wondering if it's an age thing or something i should really be concerned about. Its been for the past 2 weeks now especially. Has this happened with anyone else, if so how did you handle it?

ingrid198

Asked by ingrid198 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has always been clingy, until I started working part time. I work 8-11 3 days a week, and now my kid's a lot more independant. Try leaving him with other people and see how he does. Leave him with a family member while you do some christmas shopping or something, and see if they observe any difference, or if it's just around you. He might sense that something's different with you, and be reacting to it. He might be teething, too. Even something like a change in diet or routine can cause changes in attitude/behavior. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son is a clinger too - but he's always been that way. I would have to put him in his room when he throws his fits where they end up where nothing makes him happy but it sounds different than my sons fit.. sounds like teething or he needs just comfort he wants
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It is an age thing. At this age they have realized they are not a part of you, they are a seperate person, and that you can leave them. They are very clingy at this age. Just keep reassuring him that you are there, and that when you do leave for a few minutes you always come right back. It is a phase, so he'll get over it, just be patient with him!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I thought I was going to have a child attached to my leg forever. I agree with robyann - just make sure when you tell him you will be back make sure you are back at this time and remind him that you came back just like you said you would. If you need to leave him with someone else for a little while, let him keep something of yours while you are gone. This will let him know that you will be back.
    Anonymous

• Its an age thing...my daughter is 18 mo. now and this has been going on since 16 mo. Try to give in as much as you can...he needs your attention. However, if you have something you need to do, try to involve him as much as possible or at even give him an activity to do while you're working and try to stay as involved with him vocally as you can while you both work on your respective tasks. He will out grow it - it just takes time.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• thanks ladies. its goo to know i'm not the only one and that this phase will pass. thanks for all of your suggestions!!
    ingrid198

Answer by ingrid198 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my son is 17 months and is super clingy too. Now im at school full time and work part time it is even worse. he wont even stay with his father unless Im there. he will scream his head off
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009