how many of you moms think that it's a good idea in this day and age to not ask your child what he/she wants for christmas but it's a better idea to get them what they need?

this year my husband and I have had a big discussion as to ask the kids what they want for christmas or not and we've decided with the economy being as bad as it is and work becoming so scarce anymore who knows what the future holds it's better to have warm clothes they need and blankets just in case we was to end up on the streets not that we're anywhere near that now but it's not impossible anymore my kids have all the toys they need no they certianly don't have all the latest items money can buy but they are happy with what they do have. So we've decided why ask them what they want just get what they need.

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Shopping

• You sound paranoid. Christmas if for kids and while it's not about the presents your kids might be disapointed with getting blankets instead of something cooler.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Why not ask them to write a letter to santa about what they want, and pick one thing from their list for them, and then buy some of the things they need. But if your kids need them, why wait for a special event like Christmas? I wouldn't let my kid wait until Christmas for warm clothes or blankets if he needed them..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't buy my kids what they need for xmas. That's my responsibilty to get those things. Xmas is for presents. Not fair to get things you need. Try to mix it up get them what they need and what they want.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 11:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I've never asked my kids what they wanted for Christmas, and they were never allowed to ask for things.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• What about one thing that they want? I mean it is Christmas, and you could set a limit, you didn't say how old your kiddos are but a blanket for Christmas???? My DS is 4 and likes to get clothes, but I couldn't imagine not a toy or anything from Santa----rethink this one mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I disagree. Christmas comes once a year and to me, that is when you get your children want they want. The EVERYDAY job of a parent is to make sure your child has what they need. Christmas is supposed to be special...not like everyday. I know I wouldn't have been to happy if my parent's got me socks and blankets for Christmas, when I was little.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I also, like BisketLiss, wouldn't wait till Christmas and use it as an excuse to catch up on the things my kids needed. If they need a blanket now, I'd get them a blanket.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ours get what they need all yr , so at Christmas they get special things. We make sure the one special thing is something they have been talking about all yr and then they get a few other things..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• "Answered at 10:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 by: Mrs.Oriaku
    I don't buy my kids what they need for xmas. That's my responsibilty to get those things. Xmas is for presents. Not fair to get things you need. Try to mix it up get them what they need and what they want. "

As a non-Christian, I am quite stunned by this, I thought that Chrismas was to celebrate the birth of Jesus, not to buy children "stuff"

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would ask them for 1 item that they would like to get for Christmas or You can ask for a list of 3 or 5 items and then pick 1 that you will get them and then get things that they need. I always got things I needed for Christmas and my birthday. My LO got a lot of clothes last year and this year she isn't getting much except for items I know will grow with her. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009