best pacifier to use while bf?

I'd like to use a pacifier as soon as possible after my dd is born. With my first dd, I was told not to use one for at least 2 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. She loved to suck so this made it much more difficult not to use one. This time, I'd like to try using one asap and I'm wondering which brand is the best. Did you use one right away or wait the recommended amount of time? How did it work out?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you want to breastfeed you should wait the two weeks.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• we waited a couple of days and used NUKs. we wanted to wait longer but gave in. ;) my son didn't have nipple confusion, but it was also frustrating because he would wake as soon as his nuk fell out and we'd have to put it back in. our nursing relationship is ongoing though so the paci never messed that up.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I started using the soothie brand that they gave us at the hospital. It actually helps promote the type of sucking needed for nursing babies. I would wait as long as you can until using one though.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Actually in the hospital, the nurses were giving my son a Nuk pacifier right away, and I was breastfeeding. They never asked me though so I don't know if this was wrong of them to do that? But either way, he didn't take to the Nuk, so the second one we tried was Avent, he didn't like that one, then we tried MAM. He is 3 months old now and is still using the MAM pacifiers. He never had nipple confusion either. So who knows.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• you know what though i started to dislike the nuks because when you wash them, they sometimes get water inside and that always grossed me out so we switched to Mams. but i do think there are some NUKs that don't have the little handle thing and maybe those wouldn't get water in...?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Answered at 12:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 by:

* Ash9724
    Actually in the hospital, the nurses were giving my son a Nuk pacifier right away, and I was breastfeeding. They never asked me though so I don't know if this was wrong of them to do that? But either way, he didn't take to the Nuk, so the second one we tried was Avent, he didn't like that one, then we tried MAM. He is 3 months old now and is still using the MAM pacifiers. He never had nipple confusion either. So who knows.

the nurses also gave my son pacifiers in the hospital after i told them not to. i was disgusted and angry. they said it won't mess up nursing, but i just thought it was so disgusting that they didn't listen to my wishes as a mother! i know that it doesn't *always* mess up nursing but i do think it can so i plan to try to wait it out again with my 2nd child but we will see.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The best pacifier is your breast! :) Can't loose it... always clean...it's free!! :)

We don't use pacifiers... but if we did, I would wait a minimum of 4 weeks before introducing, and only if I really saw a need and in certain situations (car rides, for example). All babies are different, some will be prone to nipple confusion and some won't. Take into account how your babe is nursing and wait until they are really good at it. My first was a pro from day one... which was good because we did end up introducing a paci and bottle very early on (First time mom, I didn't know any better!). My second baby needed more work... he was early and not as good at nursing as his brother. Tried a bottle at 4 weeks and he had trouble nursing afterward. Waited 2 more weeks and he did fine.

So... pay attention to your child, and gage when to introduce based on how well they are taking to nursing
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We used mams with my first. However, she DID have nipple confusion. Please don't think it's a myth. I wish we had waited six weeks before introducing bottles and pacifiers. It wasn't worth it for us. I was able to breastfeed, but had to use a nipple shield for 4 months. Really wish I had waited.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Also, I think people say (not even sure where I heard this) that using your pinky is fine. Not sure why, but that's what we did with my second, and she never took a paci.
    apexmommy

• We used Nuk brand at 3 weeks.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009