How can I get my son to eat healthy food again?

Ever since Halloween when my son got his first taste of candy he won't eat anything but sugar. He used to eat so well eating balanced meals with veggies and everything. Now if it isn't candy, he won't eat it. Help!

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 12:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop giving him candy and sugar. Kids won't starve themselves. He'll eventually learn that he needs to eat what's in front of him. Stop gining in. Your the parent and you make the choices for him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Time for the Halloween candy to go in the trash. Go back to his regular foods. It may take a day or two but he should go back to liking the foods he liked before.

Evil Halloween.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• if it's not in the house, it's not an option.
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Set limits and stick to them. Mine are getting one piece a day...and only if they eat all their meals properly. They fought the first day, but after they saw I wasn't going to cave, it's been pretty smooth sailing.
    Anonymous

• Get rid of the candy, and any other junk. Offer a variety of healthy foods (make sure that everyone else in the house eats healthy food, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. Don't give him any and stick to your guns. I've intentionally not given my 2 1/2 yr old any candy. He went trick-or-treating but when he got home, I quietly switched all his candy (all 6 pieces of it...) for toddler treats. He never knew the difference. Since you're invariably going to have to deal with some screaming, tell him no once then move on. I find that repeatedly saying no just fuels my son's anger. I simply move on to another topic (often talking right over the screaming..) GOod luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009