should my daughter get the swine shot???

shes 22 months and everyones saying she should get it, and some say she shouldnt. has anyone got their kids the shot. do they get a fever or sick afterward. i dont know what to do. my doctor says she should but hes saying that to everyone...
i dont know much of the shot but i just dont want her to get sick.. can anyone help???

kfast

Asked by kfast at 12:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do a topic search and you'll see this question is asked and answered several time a day.

YOU are the only one who can make that decision, no one here. But if you're asking my opinion, I will only say what I said in the other question in this same forum....it's the same seasonal flu shot, just adapted for this particular strain of influenza A.

All of mine received both shots (H1N1 and seasonal)

The only reactions are the same ones that they get with the seasonal flu.

If they do get the flu after they get the shot, it's not from the shot.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP about doing your research.
    I dont think the shot is researched enough so I did NOT give it to my son. But there is no right or wrong answer. You do whats best for your child.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm kinda iffy on it toO! I'm going back and forth on it....but I will definetely do my research and go with my gut feeling!
    ashlynallie

Answer by ashlynallie at 1:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The H1N1 vaccine is created via the same process as the regular seasonal flu shot. If you had no issues getting your chidl that one, get the H1N1 as well. (FYI. I checked this with an infectious disease specialist.)
    Anonymous

• I got my daughter 22 months and 4.5 years done. I didn't get one yet, they aren't doing healthy adults yet. We all three had a little cold, just a running nose and coughing afterward. So I don't think it was from the shot. We were standing in the cold with a ton of over people with young children, so I think that is what it is from. This is a flu shot created the way all flu shots are created. But this flu unlike others has a scarier consequences. How would you feel if she got the illness and had a hard time, vs getting the shot and have a less sever case or not at all?

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It is a personal decision that only you can make for your child
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree only you can make the call. All three of mine did two weeks ago. One go the shot two got the mist all have been fine. They also all got the seasonal flu shot. My oldest is diabetic so it was not even a question to me, but I would have done it either way.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Actually this flu has the same risks as the regular flu. Its just a newer one so there is panic. The people I know that has had the H1N1 flu, said it was actually not as bad as the regular flu. The only ones at risk from getting this flu are people with underlying health issues, same as the regular flu.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I got it for my 14-month-old, but agree it's a personal family decision. Everyone is at risk of getting the flu - it spreads easily. How much damage that flu can do is the real question. My daughter has asthma, but even without that, I still would have gotten the shots.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i didnt but i did give him the flu shot its scarey because the flu shot gives u flu like symptoms to emune to the flu so next season its more harder for you to get it cus your body is ready to fight!!!!!! ive been gettin the flu shot since i was little but this swine flu thing is allllll new so id say no itll give u swine flu like symptoms possibly get it?!??! so id say no but the flu shot yesss cus its the normal thing or 1 lol
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009