I hate being poor!!

This is in the "just for fun" section but there is nothing fun Im just clueless about where to actually post this so I just posted this 2x

I just wrote a vent about being poor and I still have so much to say. I really feel down and out. I am lost and don't know what to do. I don't know how to be successful at least not w/o a college education. Im really trying and Im still in the dumps. I can't afford to go to college I dont have 18,000 laying around the house. Financial will only pay 3,000. I applied for grants ..still nothing! I even went as far as writing Oprah to see if I could get some kind of grant for school. I feel like a loser right now. I will take any advice I can get right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• why will financial only pay $3,000? i go to my local community college & financial aid pays for everything now that i have my son.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Try a cheaper school. Get free work training. Take out loans. You're only as stuck as you want yourself to be. I'm in the same boat and still have a college degree, so it's not about the degree, it's about the attitude. I'm going to get a grad degree for a better job -- no way do I have the money, but that's not gonna stop me. There are options: plus loans, stafford loans, private scholarships, single parent state grants -- I don't think you're looking hard enough.
    Anonymous

• Why will financial only pay $3000? Where are you trying to go? You should stick to a community college and financial aid should cover all of it and then some.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Having a college education is a myth as being the key to not being poor. Getting off your butt and working is. Even if it's just starting out a McDonalds you can move up into a management position without a college education. The job I have now is one that a lot of people would love to have and I don't have a college education. It's about how much do you want something. Hard work and a desire to get someplace. Getting a job is probably just as hard as the actual job.

If you feel you need the college education then see if you can use the $3,000 and just go part time to a local college. It may take you longer but you can do it. Good luck@
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• find something you are interested in and then try to find a job in that area that will help pay for your education. Some companies will help with some or even all of the costs and will have a job waiting for you when you finish. (such as being the receptionist while your in school, then having a higher position)
    Anonymous

• I hate being poor too, and I have a college education, but no job. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If you have a clean background, try a bank. It is decent pay and has room for advancement. And at a traditional branch you get bankers hours. Trader Joe also has a good salary and room for advancement.
    With collage try starting at a community collage for the basics. Or get a loan, I am only paying about 1.5 interest rate on mine, but it has been years that I have been paying on it. After collage you have 6 months to find a job and then can pay on a sliding scale depending on what you make. Depending on your career the government will "forgive the loan" if you work in certain places. Also America Cores and Peace cores will give you money for school in exchange for working with them.
    Were there is a will there is a way. Go find it, no more pity party.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Moral of this story ladies, STAY IN SCHOOL!!!
    Anonymous

• What? You hate being poor? I loooove it! I love kicking puppies too! JK, I know things may seem like they suck right now, but I promise it won't be that way forever. If you are willing to keep fighting, you will get there. Keep searching. I hope your life improves soon.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't know, I'm still in school (its being paid for) but I have no idea what I want to do. I have been in school for 3 years now and no associates yet. I have changed my major two-three times now. I am getting a degree in management but I have no clue what to do when I finish.
    Anonymous