I hate being poor

this is also posted in another section*

I just wrote a vent about being poor and I still have so much to say. I really feel down and out. I am lost and don't know what to do. I don't know how to be successful at least not w/o a college education. Im really trying and Im still in the dumps. I can't afford to go to college I dont have 18,000 laying around the house. Financial will only pay 3,000. I applied for grants ..still nothing! I even went as far as writing Oprah to see if I could get some kind of grant for school. I feel like a loser right now. I will take any advice I can get right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Apply for federal loans,www.fafsa.org. THey will mostly approve anyone. Unfortunately, 90% of people do not have that kind of money lying around, we all get loans. I have a BA and an MS and had to get loans for all of it. It seems shitty, but my payment is onlly $150/mos, which is a small price to pay for a stable job and excellent health insurance. Like I say' you have to spend $$ to make $$.'
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Community colleges are your best bet and many of them give you a very good education. You should get enough financial aid to cover tuition, books, and have money left over. State colleges are the next cheapest. Stay away from for profit schools.

Being poor sucks. We are so poor we can't do laundry or eat much.
    Anonymous

• I think community colleges are a great resource for those who can't afford a university. They have many programs where in 2 years you can get a degree and make a decent salary/wage. For instance - you can get your nursing degree, or be an xray technician - the medical field is a great area.
    If you go to your local community college, they will help you as far as financial aid and seeing if there are any scholarships/grants. If you still need help, try college loans. It's really hard work but it will pay off in the long run.

Answer by missanc at 12:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Education is a process, not an event. Start with one class at a community college. Make an appointment with a financial aid counselor at the school. Look for scholarships here: www.fastweb.com

Stay at home moms really do have skills that employers value, like time management, logistics, budgeting, etc.

Be positive and move forward!!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• What about vocational technical schools? They offer a certified nursing assistant class that only takes two weeks to complete. I've seen CNA job listings that pay $11 - $13 per hour. You won't get rich, but it is a start.

A college degree helps, but it isn't necessary. My husband makes $70k a year and barely graduated high school. He found a job and worked very, very hard to move up.

With any job, you have to be dependable and hard working. Best of luck to you.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 1:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. I am on a rollercoaster ride. Trying to figure out which way to turn. We live on less then $22k and we have 2 kids and we are in debt..The only things right now that are helping us get through is reading. Dave ramsey total money make over, 48days to the work you love by Dan Miller, and 7 habits by Steven Covey, also the Bible. I know that this will only be a short stumble but dang...it feels so far...but, its through the process that you find yourself. Take time to really think, read and dont do what I did. I went to school b/c I thought it was the "Proper thing to do" and spent alot of money going to school for something I didnt want to do. Find yor passions and God given talents that you were meant to be. Everything else will come together.Best wishes and God bless!
    Anonymous

• IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Like you I was tired of being Unsuccessful,  So after a few visits to a near by church that gave me a book called SUCCESS! and a magazine called SUCCESS, reading through those I found there are some key elements to being successful in anything you do.

One thing that always has been seen is that the successful have mentors.

If you are interested in something like this let me know. I have started myself and enjoying it already.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009