for those who say they would never use a pacifier, did your baby...?

spin off from other pacifier Q. when U say they never have/never will use a pacifier, i just think "never say never..." i'm wondering if your babies wanted to nurse 24/7? my son when he was newborn literally wanted to be on the breast all day long and i know it would be very noble for me to keep him there but i enjoyed a bath and lunch and had to do laundry and cleaning...lol my son would take 40 minutes to nurse and then would stop but wanted to stay at the breast just for comfort. if i took him off the breast, he would cry and cry, which i of course couldn't stand to hear my poor little boy cry! so i decided to go ahead and try pacifiers. fortunately he didn't turn into one of these 3 month olds/3 year olds who has a paci in his mouth all day long, which i feared. once he was a bit older he would only have a pacifier sometimes, and now has it at bedtime only.

CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• continued

i am just wondering what moms who didn't use pacis did, or if your babies just weren't like that? did you just let them cry until after a few days/weeks they stopped wanted to be at the breast 24/7?
    Anonymous

• just wanted to add (because i feel like people are quick to judge especially anon posters) that my son is still breastfeeding and he's 2.
    Anonymous

• sigmund freud & erik erikson both agreed that from birth to the age of 2-4, babys are in the oral gratification stage. they get there gratification from the mouth, they need to fill that oral gratification or else they will have an oral fixation for the rest of their lives and probably end up doing things like smoking, over eating or biting their nails. i study psychology & i believe this to be true, which is why i give my son his pacifier all the time, and i will continue too until him & i both feel hes ready to stop. after the oral stage, they move to the anal stage (potty training, pooping etc.) - then its the phallic stage ( the genitals) - FYI
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My babies never wanted them but they were not fussy babies at all, both did cluster feed in the evenings but did not want to be attached to the breast 24/7.
    I am not against them at all but not all babies want or need them.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I bought a ton of pacis for my DS before he was born. He just never had an interest in them. I was warned not to use them for the first 3 or so weeks to make sure my milk supply was well established and nothing worked for him but the boob after that. For him sucking = food. He would suck on a paci for just long enough to realize he wasn't getting any milk and then he would spit it out and get MAD! He did nurse frequently and he would chew/suck on his fingers. He chews on blankies now and gets his oral fix by putting everything else in his mouth I guess, lol.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OMG. Someone is actually citing FREUD??? ROFLMAO That garbage about oral fixations is as funny as my MIL telling me that if I didn't give the kids a pacifier they would be obsessed with big breasted women when they got older. Too funny!!!!!

I said never to the pacifier. All of mine had one (NOT because of what MIL said! LOL). We took them away at different times depending on the kid...13 months, 10 months and 4 months.
    Anonymous

• My first was a nursing all the time kinda guy. We did give him a paci early on (against my better judgement) and he eventually rejected it after a few weeks of what I can now see was nipple confusion. From then on out, I just nursed him all the time... My second really just didn't need one at all. I had to convince him to even nurse at all for the first couple weeks and even now that he's much more into comfort nursing, it's not all the time. I also have used slings and carriers during his growth spurts... you wouldn't want to give a paci then anyway.

Like I said in the other post... I think parents should wait to see if there is a need. Sometimes there is and a paci can be useful for short periods of time or in certain situations. Baby should still be getting comfort from the breast because that is what will keep them nursing. Deciding to use them for sure before baby is even born is a bad idea, IMO.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My 1st and 4th used paci's - my oldest "lost" his when he was 2, my youngest will be 1 this week and we've limited it to the bed and car.
    My 2nd and 3rd kids never wanted paci's. My 2nd sucked his 2nd and 3rd fingers until he was almost 4, and my 3rd never had a paci or fingers - just not an oral baby I guess.
    I breastfed all 4 of them until they were a year, so that wasn't the difference. I think it's just different personalities/different babies.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Mine would not TAKE a pacifier. And yes, he was at the breast constantly for the first few weeks. I let him do it. NEVER let him cry. He eased up at around seven weeks of age. And I continued to ignore the chores anyway. **grin** Housework is unimportant. it'll wait. The PONLY thing I ever made him wait for was when I needed the toilet.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My first child, son, had a pacifier. At 6 months old he flung it across the room. Okay....no more pacifier. My second, daughter, no pacifier. Wasn't interested. In fact, every time I put one in, she threw up. ha. Okay, no pacifier. I breastfed both. Neither sucked their thumbs.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009