Can I marry my hindu fiance in a hindu wedding ceremony even though i'm not hindu?

My fiance is hindu, I grew up Catholic but i'm no longer practising. I consider myself a Christian because I believe in God and Jesus, but I don't attend church. My fiance and I are set to get married on August 6, 2011 and were looking into a possible hindu ceremony and then a reception to follow the next day. Would I have to convert to hinduism or can we have a hindu ceremony without me having to convert?

maliya0608

Asked by maliya0608 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• does he not know the answer, or his family?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't think you'd have to convert. I know a married couple (though now divorce) and the dad is Hindu, the mom is Muslim. Neither converted..
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Im pretty sure Ive seen them performed where one was and one wasnt.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You can. There is a show they do on one of those channels supposedly geared toward women...like Style or something. A couple had a traditional Hindu wedding and neither were of the Hindu faith.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Im not hindu, but I am Indian and I can tell you from experiences from my friends and even some family members that married Hindu's that NO you do not have to convert to marry a Hindu. You can go thru with the ceremony and the reception without any hesitations. Hope that helps!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You can have a Hindu wedding without converting. My dh and I discussed it as an option (his family is Hindu) but ultimately decided against it- largely because it was not a big deal to him and his family was not supportive of our getting married so we had no one to really guide us through the process. However the option was there, without anyone converting.

Just curious: how is his family with you? My dh is south asian (born in Canada)- his parents were born in India, and things have always been strained because I'm not Indian. My BIL had an arranged marriage with another Hindu girl and it's painfully obvious the the ILs like her a lot better than me! Not trying to discourage you in any way, especially since dh and I have been happily married for eleven years and have three great kids so it has all worked out for us. Just curious what the family situation is like because my ILs stress me out!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Hindu weddings are a more cultural thing than they are religious. The are "Indian" rather than Hindu in most cases. But the will have a touch of religion. Now, if you don't mind the fact that these religious aspects are there, by all means have an Indian/Hindu wedding. But if I were you I would do my best to combine the two. Have an Indian American wedding and try to keep the religious aspects to a minimum. Now, if you are already thinking of converting, I would suggest you do some more research and decide if it's for you. Converting for marriage purposes never ends well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• They are really purty....we discussed Hindu weddings today comparing and contrasting to Egypt...you had to be there for the whole thing to see the connection.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I wouldn't mind having a hindu wedding or even combining both if I had to, I just didn't want to have to convert is all. Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Freela- I'm not very close to his parents, mainly because he isn't really close to either one of them himself, but i'm very close to his uncles and aunts, and cousins, we actually met through his cousin who is my best friend. They are all very loving and we are all really close to each other.
    maliya0608

Answer by maliya0608 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2009