c-section advice

I'm going in for a planned c-section in a few weeks and I'd like any advice you can share. What is something you wish someone would have told you before your c?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Let's see. . . before sitting up or standing up hold a pillow to your abdomen and roll to your side and then push yourself up instead of trying to sit up. . . Oh, if you plan on breastfeeding. . . try the football hold it is easier on your incision

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Well at least you know you are having to have one, make sure that everything you need prior is on the same level in your home, no stair climbing for awhile...my recovery was a little longer, but don't worry--it wasn't too awful!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• That it kind of hurts and is kind of scary! I had planned one for my breech baby but ended up in labor the day before. Since I saw midwives, I didn't have my own OB and ended up getting a section from a doc. who had been up all night. I was her last one of the day. I wish I would have had a fresh doc. on a new shift. Also, what I wasn' texpecting is that even with anasthetic, you can feel the docs. pulling and tugging on you. It hurts! I wasn't expecting that, but then again, I just wanted the baby out of there. Also, I thought I'd be more upset that my baby was taken away, but I got to see her and hear her and I was so out of it that I didn't really mind.
    Anonymous

• extra big underwear and pants.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Not a thing... it was the most enjoyable experience for me. I just made sure that all family knew not to come to the hospital until we called them. I didn't want to be all drugged up when they came and I wanted some time for my DH and I to bond with our little one before she was passed all around. I was surprised that I didn't feel drugged or tired, so we called the fam about an hour after she was born. I was up and around the very next day and went home early on the 3rd day. Just be sure that you don't lift anything heavier than the baby.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• make sure you have clothes that go over ur belly. you dont want pants to touch ur incision. make sure have help i didnt have help and i did too much and i got an infection.
    Anonymous

• Pillows. About 11 of them.
    Anonymous

• I loved my planned c-section. So much that I had another! Just relax and enjoy 4 days in the hospital to bond with your baby and breakfast in bed! It's great knowing exactly when it will happen.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My doctor tried to induce me and my son went into fetal distress and everyone felt it was safer for a c-section, 1 hour later, I was in the operating room. My advice, be glad you know whats coming. And try not to worry too much. They keep the pain dulled pretty well. The worst part is that you are in a little bit of pain, and they have to get you up and mocing around a little bit a few hours after so you don't get blood clots. I sort of am happy I never went through labor, because that was what I was most afraid of.
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My 2 were easy, just listen to the doctors orders and take it easy.
    Anonymous