New emerging party, thoughts? Good or Bad for both major parties?

Main Content
A Tea Party party registers in Florida - Ben Smith: A Tea Party party registers in FloridaNovember 09, 2009
Categories:Election.A Tea Party party registers in Florida
A Florida conservative has registered an official "Tea Party" with the office of the Secretary of State, and is promising to run candidates against Republicans and Democrats in state and national races.

"The current system has become mired in the sludge of special interest money that seeks to control the leadership of both parties. It’s time for real change,” says Orlando lawyer Frederic O’Neal, the new party's chairman, who couldn't be reached immediately by phone, in a press release.

A spokeswoman for the Florida Secretary of State, Jennifer Davis, said the party had registered in August.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1109/A_Tea_Party_party_arrives_in_Florida.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds exciting. Maybe they will be able to distort some of the corruption going on and unify the people who TRULY want to make our country great. If this is true, I hope this new group can set a good example for the hardliners and get Americans to focus on the issues and not who has teh most power.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm wondering if it will benefit the people to have a third party

If it will hurt the republicans because it will spilt their votes between moderates and conservatives

If it will hurt democrats by pulling independents

...............
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I support the idea of a more fiscally conservative and responsible government. I don't care what party they are. Even if it takes years and terms of liberal over spending for people to wake up and realize how the special interest group spending is hurting this nation. People want to leave a better earth for their kids, but they don't care what shape the nation is in financially. It's sad. This nation needs to wake up.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• sweet-a-kins, you answered your own question. Either way, right now it will hurt both parties because it will take votes away from the Democrats and the Republicans. If it survives and gets bigger with time, it will possibly be good for the voting public. Any third party is bad news for the two big players.
    Anonymous

• I am against the two party system.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm all for third parties, especially since I belong to one. =) But the name is irking me. The Tea Party Party? About as silly a name as our football team the Houston Texans.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If all the Conservative Moms here at CM and their friends join, FINE> ANd maybe they can find a remote Island somewhere to resettle and elect their own heads of state..... It gets so tiresome reading all the anti-Obama and anti-Government posts from them. They really don't even like or respect anyone except those who agree with tem. It seems so ANti-American because they just disapprove of everything......its sad. I really think that even if you have not voted for our President ,he does deserve some respect.
    Anonymous

• respect is earned anon, which is why you won't get any from me. I am anything but anti-American. This post is about third parties and if they will have effect on Democrats and Republicans. You were the one that took it off topic.

Anonymous

• I'm all for third parties, especially since I belong to one. =) But the name is irking me. The Tea Party Party? About as silly a name as our football team the Houston Texans

THAT is HILARIOUS!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Its funny sweets, because there are more people now identifying as "conservative" than before, but alot less are identifying as Republican.

To me it indicates a stronger movement in the direction of libertarianism, and perhaps a stronger chance at viability for a 3rd party candidate like Paul.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009