my 2 month old hasnt pooped in about 4 days. what do i do?

my 2 month old is breastfed and formula fed (i don't make enough milk) she usually had poos once a day then every other day now its like never. I'm just wondering if i should be worried, because she tries to poo but nothing comes out also her downstairs area smells bad, could it be the diapers or something else. oh she coughs and sneezes, but she doesn't have a fever could she still be sick? please help new mother and worried about everything.

newmommy290

Asked by newmommy290 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies normally can go 7-10 days between pooping...since they aren't eating fillers like we do, they don't have much to poop out. As long as he isn't struggling to poop and you don't feel any lumps in his abdomen from backed up poop, don't worry about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son pooped every 4-5 days. This was normal for him. Is the poop hard when it does come out? That is the sign of constipation. It's probably just the way she is.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's normal for breastfed baby to go DAYS between poops.

I'd suggest (and God knows someone's gonna take this wrong) decreasing the formula and increasing the nursing. You will make more if you give less formula. If you don't give your body a chance, then you will NEVER make enough. 6-8 dipe changes per day means baby is getting enough...it's the ONLY measure that indicates your supply. Nothing else matters.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My baby is EBF and she just went four days without going. She finally went this morning at 3:30 AM. Of course it had to be in the middle of the night. For breastfed babies, it can be normal for them to go quite a while between poops. But since you also feed formula, I don't really know. I would call your doctor's office and see what they have to say.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• a little prune juice worked for me
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I did both BF and formula - my son went 4-5 days. It's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My doc suggested fleet suppositories cut down 1/4 the normal size. ONLY if she was straining alot and unable to poop after 5 days. However, call your doc or the hospital and ask a nurse before taking any other advice just to be safe.
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 1:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Sounds normal. If you want to up for nursing, take fenugreek & blessed thistle and nurse all the time. Cut the formula and just nurse all day. I know it sounds impossible but nursing will help, it's a supply & demand kinda thing, the more you nurse the more your breasts will produce.
    But yeah, if after 10 days there is no poo, I would worry. But 4 days is totally normal. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009