So sad.......

I missed all the fun baby things... my son was SO colicky for the first full year and then some - yes, I know that sound unusual, his actual colic stopped at 5 momths which was 14 hours a day and after that he fussed most of everyday all day - nothing medically wrong ( or that they have yet to find ) he is 2 now and still whines more than any child I've ever met.. so sad about that.. I just want my baby to be happy and I want to be happy around him but its hard ... so hard somedays to be around that type of whining and crying... I feel a little resentful for that... I did all the "right " things... I just get so sad that I don't want to be home sometimes... sorry, just needed to throw my pity party

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh honey do I ever feel your pain. My now 4 yr old was the same way. They said he had acid reflux. We had him on meds. He screamed 20 hrs a day for the first 9 months and was the crabbiest whinniest kid on earth. I was heartsore, I just wanted him to be happy. I promise it gets better! He is four now and it seems like he is a totally different kid. So smart, loving, happy. He tells my DH that I am his best friend. He is an amazing little boy and I love him so much my heart hurts. We are now having a marvelouse time discovering the world together through his eyes. PM me if you need to talk, I have sooo been there! Keep your chin up!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's perfectly normal what you're feeling. I know things can be frustrating at times and that is where the term "unconditional love" comes into play. Our kids can scream and cry and throw fits all they want, and we still love them just the same. We may need to take a couple minutes to gather our thoughts and hold ourselves together, but we still love them. I don't know if you've already tried this, but may I suggest that when he does his whining and crying, tell him that you will not listen to him until he stops. If he gets a reaction from that type of behavior, he'll continue doing it. Just a suggestion. Hope you feel better and good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• What type of diet does he have? My cousin kid gets sugary drinks all day (no milk or water, just high sugar hi C type drink). He is soo whiney. When my uncle watched him, he put his foot down and said no. The change in that kid was amazing! I think part of it was becuase his mom wasn't there. She gives into every want or need the second he makes a noise.

I'm not saying this is your situation, but after the colic and the attention following, it's possible he's been trained that you will respond to his cries. It might take awhile and lots of crying! But try pushing him way from you so he can be more independent. Offer choices and make things fun. And try to look past the crying. And diet is important, so make sure he's eating and sleeping well. Lack of sleep can lead to cranky whiney kids too. You may not even realize he's not getting enough sleep. Try puttin ghim to bed 1/2 hour earlier and naps too.
    Anonymous