Do you think it's appropriate to call a toddler (or ANY child, for that matter) "sexy"?

I ask because my Mom called my Son that..it didn't bother me as much as when Our old neighbor called my Son that, but only because my Mom is the sweetest person you'll ever know, and, she's obviously my Son's Grandma. But my old neighbor called my Son "sexy" A LOT, mostly when she'd see Him with His shirt off..it just made me wonder if people think it's ok to call a kid that, or if it's just how some people are.

ajtherad

Asked by ajtherad at 12:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think your mom meant anything bad by calling your son "sexy" and the neighbor lady was obviously teasing him, however I DO think it's inappropriate outside the immediate family (parents and grandparents only) and should be firmly discouraged. Mainly so the kid doesn't get the idea that it's okay for someone to talk to them that way.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No, I dont think its ever okay to call a kid that.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• NO
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If it's innocent like that then I don't have a problem with it. If it was like... licivious then yeah, I'd have a major beef.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• we joked that sexy was going to be my sons first word, or think Mr Sexy was what his name was....we just thought my son was gorgeous, so we always called him Mr Sexy.....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's probably just a term of enderment not meant to be taken as anything sexual. For me it would all come down to who said it and how they said it...it's no different than someone saying your sone is gay, meaning he's happy or upbeat but society has changed the term to mean homosexual rather than it's true definition.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If a stranger or someone besides a family member was calling my son sexy, it might bother me. I can't remember if we use it or not... probably not that often or at all if I can't even recall... lol. I don't think it's that big of an issue as there are worst things they could be saying. JMO
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No, I don't. Sexuallizing young children is just wrong, although I realize many people do not intend it to mean that. But I also think people should think to themselves, "what if this child goes to school and says this to another child, or even the teacher?" I think gently pointing this out to people would help them to rethink the words they use around children.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 1:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• That's weird....toddlers and children are NOT sexy.
    Anonymous

• i call my son sexy all the time!! hes only 6 months old though. but i call him sexy baby sometimes or whatever. its just a joke to me. i obviously dont want to have sex with my son, but he is so handsome!!!!!! hes friggin sexy dammit!!! lol. idk. but if someone is really thinking your toddler is sexy then yeah thats wierd.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2009