If the ObamaCare proposal is so good, why do you have to imprison people who don’t want to participate?

Why does Obama's Health Care Bill require force?

"We’ve heard from the best and the brightest all afternoon, and not a one of them have answered why it is that you have to criminalize people to coax them into a plan that’s so fabulous. It makes no sense. … The other side, with all due respect, with all the adjectives and all the flourishing speech, have failed to answer that question."---Peter Roskam (R-IL)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Someone has to pay for it and if they don't pay for it, we pay for them to sit in jail...makes perfect sense. So in essence we pay double...the extra taxes for the plan and the extra taxes to support those in jail for not paying for it in the first place.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Comply with Pelosi care or goto Jail.... Doesn't sound very American, does it?
    Anonymous

• ^That was me... On blackberry, think I accidently hit the anon button... oops. :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• 10th ammendment people. Look it up.
    Anonymous

• The Tenth Amendment restates the Constitution's principle of federalism by providing that powers not granted to the national government nor prohibited to the states by the constitution of the United States are reserved to the states or the people.

your point anon?
    Anonymous

• I think anon's point is the entire bill is unconstitutional. Did you not read what you posted?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Who said that people that don't buy it go to jail? I never saw that? All I saw was that they would be hit with a whacking big fine and THEN buy it anyway, so most people would buy it to save having to buy it AND pay the fine....
    Anonymous

• I guess what I don't understand is how to pay for it. Okay, if it passes, we start paying additional taxes starting next year (or immediately?). The plan does not go into effect until 2013 (is this still the case, or did that change?). When are we required to carry health insurance on individuals and families? In 2013? And at that point, are we still paying the additional taxes? Plus a forced plan if you already don't have insurance? Is the CBO assessment of how much it will cost taxpayers only based on the additional taxes, or do they also estimate the additional amount families will have to pay for coverage?

This bill seems so stupid. I am sure that there may be parts that make sense and the intention to help people with affordable health care is admirable, but it doesn't seem like this helps as many as they make it seem.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Just becuase it's good, doesn't mean I want to pay for it. And if I'm not willing to pay for it, should that really be a crime?

On the flip side, should people be able to refuse health insurance until they need the care? Shouldn't the be putting into the system, too? The concern is that people will refuse the care, then not do preventives and end up finding out they are sick much later and needed more care and waste more money than they would have otherwise.

I think a better option is to sign a waiver refusing care and saying htat you can't change yoru mind late once you are sick and then start reaping benefits you haven't earned/won't be helping to support.
    Anonymous

• Please name me one person that does not want health care?
    Anonymous