Road trip for the holidays with a nb?

My husband and I want to take a very long road trip to be with our families over the holidays. The trip will be at least 1 1/2 days of driving. Unfortunately, our baby will be just a couple weeks old. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first road trip was when my son was a few weeks old. At that age, they will sleep right through it all for the most part. Just don't try to race there because there will be times you need to stop and feed him or her. I think it will be fine. Just remember that rest stops are dirty so just keep that in mind and try to keep your child away from people as much as possible. I was traveling alone so I just kept my son in my wrap while in the restroom and always washed my hands after touching anything. Also, there will be a lot of traffic so just keep it slow and don't worry too much about getting there on time. Those waiting for you will understand. Traveling with a new born can be challenging, but it can and has been done.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I think it will take 2-3 days between all the stops you will have to make to feed and change baby!

Flying isn't an option? Baby will probably sleep a good deal of the time... but I WOULD be concerned about a newborn staying in a bucket seat for that period of time. If you must go, I would for sure stop overnight somewhere and stop every 2-3 hours along the way. Keep an eye on baby... probably even sit in the backseat with him/her to monitor breathing.

Remember, some newborns love car rides... some hate them. You will either have a baby who sleeps constantly, or one who screams the entire time. Some babies want to nurse constantly at that age... some don't. So, there are all variables that will change the experience.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Oh, and you also have to think of yourself. Road trips can be exhausting and you will still be healing. You don't need to go wearing yourself out and getting sick or anything... I almost passed out in the grocery store when my second was a newborn because I pushed myself too much.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• YOU may not feel like going, and your doctor may not clear you for going.

I'd wait until next year. If he was a month old or so...great! He'd sleep the whole way (most likely)...but more than likely you aren't going to be up to the trip at 2 weeks post partum.
    Anonymous

• Traveling with a newborn was a whole lot easier for me than traveling with toddlers.Newborns tend to sleep a lot. That's good for traveling.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I dunno. I took my girl for a 2 hr drive to my moms when she was 2 wks old. The wauy there was HELL! she cried constantluy, even when I sat in back and we had stopped to feed and change her. The way back she slept the whole time... I think for the most part she preferred daytime driving... but then again. At 7 months, she is still a little hit or miss for the 2 hr ride... And I know people who travel as a family all the time w/ no probs, so It could go fine... but be orepared for either way!
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't think traveling with a newborn is a good idea. Actually traveling such a long distance with a child no matter the age can be awful. Yes, a newborn might sleep a lot or they might cry incessantly and you can't legally just pull them out of the carseat to comfort them. Honestly, it is probably best for relatives to be understanding and visit you. If you could get there in one night, nighttime driving is better than nothing but that 1 1/2 days will turn into 2 or 3 very quickly with a newborn.
    Anonymous

• That is easy. Drive during normal sleeping times. Have plenty of little rattles and such. Wait until you baby is older that is when it gets hard. I loved car trips when they were little.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• travelling with a newborn is MUCH easier than with older kids.

I took my oldest when she was 6weeks to a birthday party for my gramma. it was an 8 hour drive (that I've driven/ridden all my life pretty much), and went pretty smooth just the feeding and diaper stops.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• 2 weeks old huh.. What if you go past your due date??

Or is this an elective induction/c-sec.. course.. doctors don't let women go past 40 weeks anymore despite research saying 42 weeks is fine.. but whatever!

I would NOT travel with a newborn baby.. Even if you're not breastfeeding - your baby will not want to be away from your skin that long.. and they could definitely scream the entire way.. and they could definitely stop breathing in the carseat if not watched carefully. A 2 week old or even 4 week old is most likely also NOT going to sleep through the night yet, so "leaving at night" is not going to work. I just would not do it. Period. The safety factor would be my biggest reason not to do it. If it were only 2 hours I would say sure, but a day and a half? Absolutely not. I'd either not go, or fly.
    Anonymous