Whats a good pay for a teen sitter

My friends daughter is going to babysit my grandson on Sundays from 12 - 4 or 5. She is 16 and my grandson is 2. When she gets there she will be feeding him lunch and putting him down for his nap. He generally pays in bed for about 30 min then sleeps up to 2 hours. What is a fair amount to pay her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends on the area. Around here teen sitters begin at 5 bucks an hour. If you get lucky enough to have a college age sitter they start at no less than 8 an hour. Have you asked the sitter?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• teens where i live charge $10/hr
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Just ask her and come up with a number that makes you both happy. Keep in mind that just because he sleeps for 2 hrs dosen't mean she is not working. She has to be there for him, even if he is sleeping.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OP - Well the sitter doesnt know what to charge and a regular child care provider charges $10 an hour for drop in service and thats why I cant use them. (Im in Northern VA)
    Anonymous

• I pay my sitters $7/hr. I know that some charge more than that, because some of my friends pay more. I just tell a sitter up front when I ask them to sit for me that I pay $7/hr so they know before they accept the job.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My 16 yo dd babysits on a steady bases and gets between 8 and 10$ an hour. We are in NJ.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Everyone I baby sat always did a flat rate... like 20 or 30$ a night, or so much a week. I'd say at least miniumum wage in your area.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We have a 16 year old watch our girls who are 2 and almost 4. If she comes and feeds them dinner and stays until midnight we pay her $100 or more, if she is just there for a couple of hours we pay her anywhere from $30 to $40. We live in Oklahoma.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• all the babysitter I know charged a flat rate and the more kids the more $. most started of at $20 for up to 5 hours and more for lot longer hours. Just be upfront about how much the job pays before hand or ask her what she charges. I know if they are cpr certified they usually get more.
    Anonymous