What do you think

Is it OK for my 2 year old to get the flumist (n1h1 or otherwise) then go to school immediately after?

I'm thinking yes, but the fact that it's a live virus makes me wonder. Of course I will ask the doc after the shot, but just thinking about it before her appointment. I know, curiosity killed the cat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• The mist is recomended for 2 and up, the shots really need to be reserved for babies 6 months old and for those who for whatever health reasons cannot tolerate the mist. The nurse at the health deapartment here told me it's not unsafe to go about life as normal after the mist is given.
    Anonymous

• The doctor should not be giving your 2 year old the mist with the live virus. CDC recommends that children under 10 get the vaccine by shot only, because the virus in the shot is not live, a your child will not get sick from it.
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Who may be eligible for FluMist®?

FluMist® is a vaccine approved for the prevention of certain types of influenza disease in children, adolescents, and adults 2-49 years of age. FluMist may not protect everyone who gets it. FluMist is for intranasal administration only.

straight from their website. -- it's just needed in 2 doses if under 10 years old.
    Anonymous

• Ages 2 to 49 can get the mist, of course there is more stipulations with the mist, children less than 2 but older than 6 months it is recommended they get the shot. I like the shot verses the mist. The mist carries more side effects and risks than the shot does.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If he couldn't go to school after the flumist, then they wouldn't be doing vaccination clinics in the schools now, would they?

And yes...2 year olds can get it.
    Anonymous

• good point. Guess I'm just not used to what "shedding" actually means. I understand it's a weak variant, but it still seems odd. Thanks anon!
    Anonymous

• Our Ped won't give any child under 3 the mist only the dead injection.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009