I need help wording an email to my lawyer....can you help me???

I was in a car accident and I know that the demand package was sent to the insurance company of the person who hit me. I have heard from my lawyer once since then and not because he called me but because I called him about another issue I was having. When I asked him about the car accident he kinda blew me off.

I want to check the status of my case and see if there is a possibility we might settle before Christmas. I dont want to sound desperate (even though I kinda am..lol) How do I word the email and what do I say in it??

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Be professional and get to the point. Less wordily is better.

Anonymous

• If you have paid a retainer and you are the only one innitiating contact w/the lawyer then you should demand a call as well as an explanation of wether or not he/she is taking your case seriously. Don't be timid! Say what you want and what you expect him/her to do for you. State that you thought you were retaining an attorney that would take your case seriously. So if you don't get a response within however many days you will seek out a more professional lawyer. Good Luck!
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 1:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ask him for a "time line." This will let him know that you want to know when things might be expected to happen without appearing desparate. Don't give him too much information. Let him think you are planning a vacation or having visitors in that will take up a big block of time and you want to be available when needed, not that you are hoping to cash a big check before Christmas.
    Anonymous

• Remember you hired him or her. You can also fire him or her. Stand your ground and not only put it in writing but also call. If it is not documented - It never happened. If the demand letter already went to the insurance company they have only 30 days to answer your letter. I do not know when the letter was dated, but check that date and follow up - You are the boss not the attorney. Good Luck!
    delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 4:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009