what can i do about the school in my neighborhood?

ok. the neighborhood school is always behind. they are below state requirements, the kids there dont even graduate from 8th grade or anything their score is like 43. anyway i talked to the principal and he said no other schools out of the district want transfers from their school. this is the only school in the district and i dont want my children going there . they are only 3 yrs. old and i just know they are up to fail if they gon there. my question is does anyone know what i can do what are my choices?i even wrote to the department of education and they said if the school is not part of title one that there is nothing they can do. thanks for any suggestions.and no we cant afford moving we just moved. this is in illinois

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in

• Under "No child left behind", you can move your child to another school. Contact the state board of education in Springfield.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I had that same issue in AZ. Horrible schools they just don't have funding for the extra help. You will need to do work with your kids at home to keep them up. If you push the school and make sure your child is on point they will be. Smart kids are not just from going to a school. The parents need to be involved.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My biggest complaint about public school is not having a "choice". We live in a small town and my son attends the only school available to him. So whether we like it or not, that is where he will be educated. It sounds like you also have no choice. I would suggest getting involved with the school, volunteer your time, organize after school tutoring, start a parent group to "demand" the school improves. This is YOUR school and you have every right to expect them to educate your child appropriately.

Make another trip to the principal's office and instead of asking where else you can send your child ask how you can help improve the school.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 1:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If you can't find another school, you can always homeschool.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Homeschool.
    Anonymous

• You can look into virtual schools but if that isn't available and you don't feel like you can homeschool on your own. I checked Connections Academy for Illinois and its available but you'd have to pay for it. Our state lets us use it as Public school so its free. K-12 is available in the Chicago area.

Remember that the schools that have more parental involvement do better. Also children with parents who are involved in their school also do better. Its not always about the teachers, building, or the area. I was terrified to send my son to the "poorest" school in our county when he was in Kindergarten. But honestly, it was the best school he's been too. The teacher's adored those kids and really gave them the support that some weren't getting at home. So evaluate those things. Teachers, cirriculum, opportunities, etc. Before you judge on test scores.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Exactly what rkoloms said. IF your child is in a failing school, they HAVE to let you transfer her to another school. You will have to provide transportation but they have to accomodate her. I wouldn't worry yet, she is only 3. Also, don't assume she will fail because she would be at a failing school. I know MANY kids that are honor roll students and went on to college and they went to failing schools.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You do have a choice. Move to a better district.
    Anonymous