my 14 lb cat keeps trying to jump in my baby's bassinet

i need help, my cat could crush the baby. my cats are my life but this is terrifying. i'm never too far from bassinet while she's in it, but i do have to pee and leave the room sometimes.

any tips at all? baby is 4 days old.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is dangerous. Even though you love your cat you may need to get rid of it. Your baby is more important. Something could happen in just the time it takes you to go to the bathroom.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Cats have always been dangerous for newborns. I heard they can lick the milk from around the mouth and smother them. Not sure if that's true or an old wive's tale but I wouldn't risk it. Put the baby in a room and shut the door so the cat can't get in when you have to be away from the baby. Most bassinets have wheels. You could just wheel her in there or shut the cat up in the other room until you can return.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OH I would demote the cat from the totem pole for sure! I would either put the cat up in another room and shut the door while you go to the bathroom or do whatever you need to do especially while baby is sleeping. Your cat is trying to check this new thing out and establish dominance over the baby. Cat needs to know who's boss and you and new baby are tippy top of the chain! I think you can buy cat repellent, or better yet call a vet. They might have a better idea of what you can do to change the cats behavior.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Keep the cat in a different room from the baby and keep the doors shut so the cat can't get in there. It is dangerous to have cats around babies.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Your cats WERE your life. Your baby is your life now. I know how you feel, I'm an animal lover too, but which would you rather lose, the cat, or your child? It's kind of a no brainer. (not trying to be mean , but if you really think about it, it's true) It's not just a crushing hazard, its a major suffocation hazard if the cat decides to "cuddle" near babies face.

I'd suggest either 1, be NUEROTIC about always making sure the cat is not in the room at night & whenever else the baby is in the bassinet. Remeber to check under furniture, then close the door.
    2- put the cats out at night/ when baby is sleeping
    3- see if someone can take care of the cats at least until baby is 6 months or so. Strong enough to turn her head, flip over, or even push the cat away and scream
    Anonymous

• My best advice is to keep the cat in a separate room. I don't know how 'trainable' cats are. But if they are, work on training the cat to stay off all baby stuff including changing table, crib, toys, etc.
    Anonymous

• I'm afraid I'm gonna deal with this same stuff!! My cats have been in both the crib and the bassinet, and the baby isn't even here yet. Only reason they ain't in the bassinet lately is cause I am using it as a diaper stacker since we decided to not use it for the baby. My female cat also tends to get mad and spray stuff, so I'm worried about that. I am really hoping I don't have to get rid of my cats, but I know they are gonna be trouble and I'm not sure how much I can take.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We always had cats when our kids were born. Right up until the day if found my black long haired cat snuggled in the bassinette with my son. He was three weeks old and her tail was across her face. I cared deeply about her but that was the last day she was in my house. She was sent to grandmas house to live where she spent the next 5 yers before she passed. It scared me. I was not confident that I could keep the cat away from him 100% of the time. Maybe I jumped the gun in packing her off..but we had lost our middle son about 14 months before.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Before I had my son, I put his bassinette out in the living room and put a citronella sprayer inside the bassinette.. So when she would jump in it the sprayer would go off.. She never jumped in the bassinette more than once..

It was for my xmas tree.. the cats kept climbing in it so I put three sprayers (motion activated) next to the tree and if they got close it'd spray them.. They stay away from my xmas tree ..

Is there any way you could get like 3 citronellas sprayers or even an air sprayer (I heard those work good too) and put them near the bassinette on 3 sides of it and push one side up against a wall?? I kept my citro sprayers next to the bassinette too and my cats/dogs never even got near it after one spraying.. I put it next to his crib, too, when I switched to the crib... There are other types of motion activated sprayers out there too.. look it up!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I meant -- She never jumped in the bassinette more than once before he was born cause she kept jumping in it and getting fur on the clean sheets, I mean. After he was born I put the sprayers all around the bassinette so they wouldn't even think about it. lol

They NEVER jumped in there with the sprayers sitting there. As far as I know they've never been in his crib either and I haven't had the sprayers there in 4 months (he's 8 months old)..

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009