Potty training to soon?

My DD is thirteen months and she has been holding in her bm until she gets in the tub and I end up cleaning it out of the drain. *shudder* Which is so gross. I bought her a potty chair and she likes it. She has even pulled her a little pile of books in the bathroom and she reads while she sits on the potty. She seems to be doing fine and if she doesn't make it I don't really think it is a big deal. I'm just happy that I no longer have to clean it out of the tub. But I have had people all over my back because they think it is to soon to be potty training? What do you guys think?

hansonfan1985

Asked by hansonfan1985 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What EVER. Girl, if they think you're potty training too young, invite them over to clean your tub. I am so excited because my 13 month old just went over to the potty, banged it while looking at me, so I set her on it and she peed! Then said "done!" Awesome.

Anyway. No. You are not potty training too young. As long as you have very reasonable expectations, do what you're doing! You're not forcing her, she's happy, you're happy. Sounds successful in my book. I don't really understand this push to wait until after 2 to start potty training. Yes, there will be accidents. It seems to me like people just want to change diapers until they can pt in three days. Not me. I'd rather teach her early, not stress the accidents, and have them out of diapers by 2. That was my experience with my first, and it's shaping up to be my experience with my 2nd. No worries either way, but less diapers for me to change!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• When I read your question I thought of this post from one of my favorite blogs: http://stephanieklein.com/2008/08/laissez-faire-p.html. She's all about the "let it happen when it happens." It's hard to know which way is best, but no matter what you choose, people will have their opinions.
    mrichardson19

Answer by mrichardson19 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• follow your baby's cues! if she seems ready and eager to use the potty, go with the flow! expect accidents and praise her when she goes in the potty!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No such thing as too early. There are people who "pt" their infants. My mom potty trained me when I turned 1, and loves telling me that I was fully pt-ed when I was 13 months (all but one of my kids were over 3 before I had them pt-ed). If you want to do it, and she's obviously ready, then go for it and don't let anyone tell you it's wrong.
    Anonymous

• I believe in following baby clues BUT yes you can start too early because I have known people who have and it took 3 times as long to potty train so just know when to abkc off if needed. If you think shes ready go for it!
    Anonymous