Do you find it as disgusting as I do to watch a pregnant woman smoke?

I'm sure you smokers disagree but come on now. I saw a woman smoking while pregnant and she had to tell everyone her Dr. said it was better for the baby if she doesn't quit. REALLY?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It makes me think she cares more about herself then of her unborn.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 1:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Completely agree with mommorgan and I feel that way about people who drink alcohol while pregnant as well. Just my opinion, though.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I hate seeing that. I was at the metro stop and a women had a jacket on and her baby had just an outfit on and she was holding this newborn baby and smoking all in the babies face. I gave her the nasties look and i was on the phone telling my hubby all about her skanky stupid ass. SHe heard me and I WISH she would have said something.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Depending on how far along she was it does make sense that the dr would say that because it would cause the baby to have really bad with drawls and could even put her into labor early.

I do not agree that she should be smoking while pregnant, but what can you do? I just feel bad for the baby.
    Anonymous

• Yeah the drinking is bad too. I work as a bartender, I am shocked at so many woman who have drinks while pregnant. Just not worth the risk.
    Anonymous

• I smoked while pregnant. I cared and do care more about my child than I do myself. I had smoked since I was 16 years old and I was 40 when I got pregnant. My doctor DID say that it would be best not to quit because it puts your body under a lot of stress and therefore puts the baby under a lot of stress.
    I find it disgusting that a pregnant woman would do a lot of things that they/we do but I'm not here to judge anyone. My son was born at 35 weeks weighing 4 pounds 7 ounces and he was in the hospital for a week - just until he could gain back up to his birth weight. The only problem he had was learning to suck. Now, judge all you want. I smoked and went on to have a healthy baby. Oh, he was born early due to MY medical conditions, not my smoking.
    Why do people put down people with the habit of smoking and not other habits. Did you drink soda or anything with caffine? That's a disgusting habit for a pregnant mom.
    MamaChop05

Answer by MamaChop05 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ohh I find it very disgusting as well and I am a smoker, although I always quit smoking during pregnancys and during breastfeeding. I wish I had never started up again and am trying to quit. Smoking is just gross weather your preg. or not. I diff. never smoke around my children either. As said above its apparent she is just toooooo selfish to quit for her unborn baby.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 1:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Good for you APosser. I too smoked before pregnancy. I quit when I got pregnant 13 years ago. It was hard not to start back up, but I never did. Doesn't mean I haven't wanted too.
    Anonymous

• MamaChop- a lot of pregnant women DONT drink soda or anything with caffine in it while pregnant. Some of us change our entire habits around while carrying a child because that is what we feel is the best for the child. It's also such a rare oppurtunity to make every decision about what goes into our child's bodies..(because some days my youngest will refuse to eat veggies) I tried to do everything I could to ensure a great start with both my children. So your argument is not valid with everyone.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No bad habit causes more damage than smoking during pregnancy. You could have coffee, a glass of wine, and an occasional piece of tuna -- smoking is STILL the worst absolute thing you can do. I'm a die hard smoker, have been unable to quit for years -- I quit while pregnant, because it's just stupid and selfish to inflict that on a baby. Pregnancy sucks. So does quitting smoking. But it's what we do for our children. Time to grow up, pregnant smokers.
    Anonymous