milk :(

my 13 month old wont drink milk ugh what can i do

avahsmommie

Asked by avahsmommie at 1:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• half milk half formula.. maybe?
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Give him water. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Are you giving it to her straight out of the refridgerator? My DD won't drink milk unless it is put in the microwave just long enough to take the chill off of it.
    hansonfan1985

Answer by hansonfan1985 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Don't worry about it. Just make up the nutrients with other dairy products. Keep offering and cut back on other drinks offered if you want her to drink it...but it's not as big a deal as some are led to believe.
    Anonymous

• It's really not a big deal as long the there is a varied and healthy diet. Just make sure that instead of milk, you offer low sugar substitutes rather than high sugar juices. Maybe offer soy or other types of milk (again, in small quantities, as only milk or only juice can be bad too) the idea is a variety.
    Anonymous

• As long as he is eating other dairy sources (cheese, yogurt, etc) it's fine to not have milk. If he was a formula baby then I would try mixing milk with formula for a few days, gradually cutting down on the formula and increasing the milk. Also, warming it might help - he's used to either warm breast milk, or usually warm formula.

Answer by missanc at 1:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Milk is HORRIBLE for humans, and even worse for kids. They're starting to link it to leukemia. Give soy or nut milks, always.
    Anonymous

• My son is allergic to milk protein so we give him soy! He loves it! He took it better than regular milk!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, water, some juice is ok - just not all the time. There are plenty of other things for little ones to drink besides cow's milk. Even toddler formulas are out their for children at that age.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• As you can see, lots of different opinions on the subject. There isn't anything magic about milk as long as your child gets the nutrients from other sources (i.e. cheese, yogurt, etc). I'd keep trying the milk either cold or warmed. most kids will eventually drink it. If they don't, just continue to make sure to give a balanced diet. I would definitely be careful on allowing your child too much juice (I didn't give mine any juice until 2 and still in very limited quantities). Offer water instead.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009