I think it's sad when a grandparent doesn't look at the child as their grandchild but their son or daughter's kid and doesn't show them the love like a grandparent should. How do you feel about this?

For example... when a couple breaks up and the son got this girl pregnant and the son doesn't take responsibility for the child or claims that the baby is not his, then the grandparents disown the baby instead of wanting to find out or if they know it's his and since the son wants nothing to do with it, they don't either and just refer to the baby as their son's kid.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but either way, I think it's sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Were you watching Maury? That is the only place I ever heard anything crazy like that.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• That is sad. What's even sadder is that my Mother knows my children are her grandchildren but she refuses to spend any time with them because she says they're too loud and active. As a result, now that one is grown and the other two teenagers, they hardly know her. I feel sorry for her, now that she's in her senior years and needs a lot of help, that she can't call upon her grandchildren.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Actually, my ex boyfriends mom was like this (I was with him while another girl was pregnant with his baby... one night stand) and that's how it is in my very own situation. They have never seen or asked about my baby.

OP
    Anonymous

• I have seen it, it happened in DH's family. But I've come to the conclusion that if a man really does ditch out like that, his parents aren't always likely to be much better and it's probably not a good thing for the child to be around them anyway. Children need to be surrounded by love not ridiculous crap like that.
    Anonymous

• Yep, definitely sad. I kinda feel like that's how my husbands parents are. Baby isn't here yet, but I'm not expecting them to change suddenly after he is born, because they are just so stoic and all in their responses about him. Very clinical like, rather than grandparenty. I am hoping they take a look at him and suddenly become interested, but I'm afraid he will just be "our son's child."
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Im married with 3 kids, but before I was married I had a baby from my then boyfriend. We broke up and I told him I was pregnant he didn't believe me. I had dna test done and it proved he was the father but he hasn't seen our daughter since the was the testing and even then he didn't acknowledge her. That was 8 years ago. His mother never has even asked about her or even tried to talk to her. That part of his family doesn't even claim my dauther as family. But you know it's ok I remarried and she has a family that cares about her very much she doesn't need him.
    memory_adrift

Answer by memory_adrift at 2:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My Dad hasn't seen my daughter in 5 years ...never calls or anything. He's like the deadbeat GRANDparent. Oh well. It is his loss really!!
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately that type of situation happens more then people think. I think it's sad when anyone in a family wants nothing to do with a child. They're missing out on a great experience, but that's their choice and their loss.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009