My nine year old has Asperger's & ADHD, he is starting to go through puberty. More body hair, noticing that he wakes up with an erection. He's asking me what this means. How do I explain?

kendra1417

Asked by kendra1417 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If he is asking, he is ready to know. Just explain that sometimes when males wake up,they have a morning hardon and it may because they have to pee. You can also get some really good books that will help you explain ALL that he will be going through. 9 is NOT too young to be talking about his body, puberty,etc. Don't make a big deal out of it, let him know that it is NORMAL and OK. He will be having a lot of questions, don't wait for the school Health class to teach him, you teach him. Keep up open and honest communication, be truthful but age and developmentally appropriate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Tell him not to be afraid, it is normal. Tell him it is a natural thing that boys go through and as he gets older he will learn to control them for the most part. Thats a start and then if he asks more questions, just go from there.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree w/ the above and say it happens to every boy. Also have a brief chat with your ped. about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You haven't told him before this!? Good grief.
    Anonymous

• Um no I have not because he didn't seem ready emotionaly and when i was talking to he regular pediatrician about she said not to worry about it until HE seemed ready!!
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my 4 yr old boy started asking about his penis being erect when he woke up when he was about 2 yrs old, at the time i told him, that means it works and if you run around it will go away. at nine you might want to do the talk about sex.... since he brought it up and all. we had sex ed in 5th grade, that seems like a good age- while they still listen.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009