WHY oh WHY!? Why did my 17 month old throw up fish meat???

the first time i gave my dd fish a few months back, (a little piece) she threw it up. along with the other stuff i previously fed her.

a few weeks ago i fed her fish and she was fine. loved it.

today i fed her fried tilapia (the same kind i fed her the first time) with rice and she threw it up along with a full bottle of milk and apples she ater this morning

now i'm frustrated because fish should be fine. shes picky. but fish SHOULD be ok. she's old enough to eat it. its not shellfish. wtF!!! i'm so mad right now... dd is fine now after throwing up. showing no signs of allergies.. or whatever..

part of me thinks she has a hard time chewing fish meat. cuz its so soft so she can't really tell and just swallows it... could that be it? does anyone have this issue?

**edit** i meant .."so she just swallows it and it doesn't go down right and tries to cough it back up or something...??"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you should just be careful with fish for a while. If possible, just avoid it for now until she gets a little older. Even if it isn't a true allergy, maybe her system just isn't ready yet.

My son does have food allergies. He tests negative to fish and shellfish. However, our allergist says to just wait for a while longer. (he just turned 2) He doesn't need it and is perfectly happy eating other foods that we just don't need to try it yet.

If you do want to keep trying, keep a food journal and document not only if she throws it up, but if she seems to have gas, hives, or just act differently, tantrums, etc. Allergic reactions aren't always "seen" so it can be tricky.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• maybe she just doesn't like it?

my kids will make themselves throw up if I have them eat something they don't like.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It sounds like she is allergic to fish or just that type of fish. Just because it isn't shellfish doesn't mean she can't be allergic to it. I have a cousin who is allergic to only saltwater fish...but can eat freshwater fish. Was it tilapia that she ate every single time?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• wow? really? that was actually quite an unexpected answer...

i never thought she would make herself throw up? kind of extreme don't you think?

hmm...

-OP
    Anonymous

• also another good answer... i never thought about the salt water/fresh water difference. tilapia is what i gave her that made her throw up twice.

flounder she ate happily. and plenty of with no unsavory after effects.

-OP
    Anonymous

• I dunno
    Anonymous

• good advice! thanks for the help moms! and i guess... thanks to you anon for your wonderful insight.

now i just need to get the rest of this vomit off the carpet.

-OP
    Anonymous