Are mashed potatoes an ok first thing to give my 6 month old to try?

I keep reading that sweet potatoes are ok, but what about plain potatoes?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave mine mashed potatoes as one of his first "real" foods, and he loved them! As long as it's pureed, and he doesn't have to actually chew on anything, it's fine! He loves sweet potatoes too, they just taste sweeter, which is why most of the time, babies will like them better than regular potatoes.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Don't add milk to them. 6 months isn't old enough for water.
    I've always gone with the sweet potatoes. They are better for you and EASY to prepare.
    Anonymous

• Regular potatos can be harder to digest and aren't as nutritious. The vitamin A in sweet potatos is good for the baby's eyes. Eating foods high in vitamin A is important for babies and toddlers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I ate applesauce at 4 months..and so did my son. I guess I did what my mom suggested...My *guess* would be potatoes are more difficult to digest because of the starchiness.
    Anonymous