At what age is it best to put a child in their own room?

I have a 16 mo. old daughter who sleeps in our room with us. I have finally gotten her to o to sleep on her own ut she doesn't sleep thru the night anymore, goes to be at 7 pm and wakes at 12 amto move into our bed then wakes again at 4 am wanting to play. What age is a good age to move her into her own room? And any other ideas or tips wouldbe helpful.

boogieboo724008

Asked by boogieboo724008 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is why you're supposed to let kids sleep in their own room from the beginning!! To prevent these problems. I had my son sleep in our room with us til he was 4 months old...so switching was easy for me. Good luck with that!!
    Anonymous

• uhh.. now. when she comes to your room take her back, again and again, or you will have an almost 4 year old (like me), sneaking into your bed at night. I wish I would have started earlier! He's down to only getting up once a night. But now all I have to do is redirect him to his room.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son was never in my room. He was in my room i think one night but that was it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You've got to stop bringing her into your room at night. Maybe put a toy in her crib with her to keep her busy until she falls back asleep. I'm not really sure. The doctor told me co-sleeping is never a good idea in the first place, so I've never had to deal with that. Sorry, Good luck though.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son was a few days old when he got his own room. He preferred his crib to the bassinet that we had set up in our room. So, any age is a good age to move them to their own room. In fact, I would say the sooner, the better.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We never owned a crib. Around 3 is a good age for most kids. My 3 boys liked sharing a room with a big bed when they were young.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I moved my kids into their room around 4 to 6 weeks, when it was time to leave the bassinet. I would say just keep taking her back. Over and Over and don't allow her to sleep in your bed at all anymore. It'll be tiring but that's why their called bad habits. They're bad to break.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I put all of mine in their own room at 6 months. I use the Ferber method to get them sleeping on their own. Ferber is not CIO (there is a ton of misinformation about Ferber on the internet), you would need the book to do it right.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my son was 5months when we did and used a baby mointer

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Mine was in her own room at 6 weeks. Now, she won't sleep with me no matter what her issue is...even if she is teething or sick, she refuses to sleep with me. Its all about habits. At this age, those habits are going to be hard to break so you're going to have to decide on a course of action and be VERY consistent about it. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009