How do I take care of my sick tot when I'm just as sick??

I have the flu, and so does my 16 month old. I am dragging around the apartment, trying to take care of everything, and I feel like I'm going to puke.

How do I take care of my sick tot when I'm sick too? And ideas or advice? I have no one to help-not one person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• This happened to us a few months ago. Me, my husband, AND our son (then 10 months old) were really sick. It was HARD. Don't worry about cleaning and stuff as long as the house is safe. Find a place where you can enclose your child, like in the play room or something. Put on a movie, keep your LO hydrated with a sippy cup, and just do what you have to do to get through.

It's really hard, but you'll make it through! Then you earn your "Sick Mommy, Sick Baby" merit badge!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Be glad you only have one sick kid to take care of.

Set up your room so it is very child safe and make it the hanging out place. Bring the things you want to do in there. Bring some toys your child can play with if well enough. If you nod off then your child is in your safe room with you.

Just do what you have to.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would try to make a safe area so that you can sleep while the baby plays. You have to make sure that there isn't anything they can get hurt on and try to make sure you have a sippy cup for them and try to keep everything you would need in reach. Good Luck!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• take care of only the priorities. you don't have to do the laundry or the dishes or the vacuuming....just do the minimal - food and care until you're feeling better

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Haven't you heard? Mothers aren't suppose to get sick. They are suppose to be there for everyone else.  geeezzz  I understand completely!

You just do the best way you can. That's why I always have can good and other bland foods around. Cream of wheat; cracker; broth soups; jello; applesauce; juices.  So when I'm sick I can get up and nurse myself to health. 

Hang in there!

Anonymous

• share the same bed, turn on the TV, put a paper grocery bag inside a plastic grocery bag, park it next to the bed, for an easy puke sack.. Get out the drink boxes and kleenex and do not worry about claening, I promise you it will all still be there when you get better.
    Anonymous

• Oh yes, I have been there done that- although usually all 3 of my kids are sick when I am sick. What I do is put in a family friendly video that all the kids will watch, let them crash in the livingroom while I crash on the sofa. I keep the drink cups filled, and offer popsicles so the kids stay hydrated, I fix bland food, and if we are taking meds I try to put it on a schedule so everyone is doesed at the same time. I also keep a paper record- of when temps were taken, what the temp was, and medicine time/dosage amount. That way there is no guessing or trying to remember.
    I hope you and your child feel better soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree with most of the answers here. turn on some cartoons to keep your little one happy, give him/her some Tylenol for fever and take some yourself. have something close to puke in, plenty of clear liquids near by,, open some cans of soups for meals and lay in the bed or on the couch together and rest. Everything else can wait until you are on your feet again.

Anonymous