Agree with the family of a victim of Fort Hood shooting?

On Monday, the family of one of the victims offered a hand of support to the Muslim community. Michael Cahill, a physician's assistant at the base, was the only civilian to be killed in the attacks, and his family spoke to CBS News to denounce the scapegoating of Muslims.

"You can't blanket a whole group of people. There's extremists in every religion, and there's extremists all over the world," said Cahill's daughter, Kerry. "And I don't think that we can blanket a whole group of people when this man obviously was ill, I think."

Cahill's other daughter, Keely Vanacker, expanded: "The death of our father, or any of these victims, shouldn't be an excuse or reason to begin to hate an entire group of people."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• While Grease is a lovely movie, the song is not relevant to the topic, Grace. If you mean to deride someone with that song, perhaps you need a break from this question. Derision has no place in an intelligent discussion.

I agree with the families. It is illogical to assume that all people in a religion, race, sex, etc... are alike. I have met fantastic Muslims, and read about violent ones. I have met loving, sweet, caring Christians, and I have also read about, or met, horrid, cruel ones.

I do wonder what Grace insists should have been done. Personally, I think this could have been prevented, but in a different manner. Soldiers with PTSD are virtually ignored by the military. This man has been working with the mentally ill for years, in an incredibly stressful job. I can see how he, as an individual, could crack, and not have it be a part of some "evil Muslim scheme".
    Cymbeline

Answer by Cymbeline at 6:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Absolutley.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• absolutely.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• We MUST protect our innocent and our way of life, what ever steps are simple smilenecessary.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Nice to know there's some sane people left in the world...like the family of that poor soldier.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Thats been my belief since the beginning but that doesn't mean it should NOT be looked into as potentially a terrorist act. It would be stupid not to.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• "You can't blanket a whole group of people. There's extremists in every religion, and there's extremists all over the world," said Cahill's daughter, Kerry. "And I don't think that we can blanket a whole group of people when this man obviously was ill, I think."

THIS is true class! bow downand Insight!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The incident at Fort Hood could have been prevented.

Political correctness isn't necessarily my strong suit and many decisions I make are made despite my "feelings". 

My common sense allows me to sleep at night. 

I have no one's death on my tolerant little heart.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OF COURSE I agree!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The incident at Fort Hood could have been prevented. Political correctness isn't necessarily my strong suit and many decisions I make are made despite my "feelings". My common sense allows me to sleep at night. I have no one's death on my tolerant little heart.

What tolerence? In your post you called our President a Muslim Sympathizer. Your disdain for the whole group is apparent

Anonymous