How much baby food should a 6 in a half month old be eating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None. Baby food is highly processed, expensive, and bad for the environment.

The baby should be eating regular food. If the baby is breastfed, breastmilk should still be the main source of nutrition.

The things you feed your baby should be nutritious. Don't let people tell you that eating is for practice or doesn't count or other silly things. Bananas, sweet potato, and avocado are good first foods.

For more on starting solids go to www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• At 6 1/2 months, the main source of nutrients will still be breastmilk or formula. But you can start with bananas, sweet potatoe, apple sauce, different fruits (pureed) etc. Yes, making this food yourself would be ideal, but for some people, not very realistic. So there's nothing wrong with the Gerber First Foods jars. That's what my son had, and believe me, he's perfectly fine.

As for the amount... I think I started off with maybe just a jar a day, I put some in his oatmeal in the morning, gave some during lunch, and some for dinner. It's okay if they don't eat a whole lot right away, since they're just getting used to it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 7 months and her doctor told me to feed her food 3 times a day
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• They can eat as much as they want, as long as it doesn't cause them to cut down on the amount of breastmilk or formula they take in.

Actual baby food is just for practice and (I used it) for an easy way to check for sensitivities to the single ingredients. It's for practice as far as allowing them to learn how to swallow something thicker than liquid. At 6 1/2 months I was also offering Cheerios and some table foods as well.

Now, you can either speak to your pediatrician about your child and what the doctor feels would be a good way to go, or go with the above copied and pasted answers that Gailll and rkoloms give everyone because they think they know it all about every baby and every given situation.
    Anonymous

• My 5 month old eats 2 jars of Gerber 1st foods everyday. One for lunch and one for dinner along with his formula. Do what you think is best for your baby, and feed them on cue and stop when That's what I do and I have a very happy, healthy baby boy.
    Anonymous

• IF YOU ARE GIVING HOM JAR FOOD MY SON EATS HALF JAR
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009