Can you get your tubes tied at age 20?

Does anyone know if you can get your tubes tied when you are 20? Someone told me you had to be 25. I have two kids if that makes a difference

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you have 2 or more kids, yes. My neice had hers tied at 21 and she only had 1 daughter. She told her Dr to do it or she was going somewhere else. She was also raising her step son so every situation is different.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• you might want to just use really good birth control, because when youre older you might want to have another baby and regret that decision. I wanted mine tied at 21 and my doctor advised me against it and i'm so glad that i didnt because i had my amazing baby boy at 34yo and i cant imaging my life without him. i dont know how old your kids are but in 12 yrs or so, they're prob. going to be teenagers and you'll be really young, you might start to feel maternal again. so just think about it before you go through this.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• totally agree with poudmomma---i had my 2nd @ 19 and was really close to having it done---my dr would have allowed it but he suggested I wait until I was atleast 25 to be sure...Glad for it b/c I'm thinking it would be great to have another in the future...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My friend is pregnant wth her 2nd and wanted to get them done right after she has this baby -- but her Dr said she has to be 25 OR have 3 kids ?!?! I think it is wrong....

But I had my 2nd at 21 ( the week after) ... and my DR offered me to have it done -- but I had alot of problems with both pregnancies, so I figured that is why she offered it.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I really think it depends on the doctor. My husband had his vasectomy at 26, but my sister's doctor refused to tie her tubes at that age.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I have a friend who had it done at 21. Here, you have to have at least two kids to have it done, or that's what she told me (the friend). I do agree that I would wait and see for when you are older, just because I'd be too chicken to have it done so young! But it's ur decision, and if you've given it tons of thought...you may be able to find a doctor who will do it. I think it depends on where you live and the doctor you have.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure who exactly sets the rules. I had mine done at 26, but I already had four children. I also have health concerns that were very difficult for me to carry pregnancies and darned near killed me the fourth time.
    Anonymous

• in most states, legally its 21. i would think long and hard though... i had it done @ 22, and i am having MAJOR side effects. which, by the way, are common. and not talked about.... check out PTLS before you make a decision. its a very real possible outcome, that you WILL NOT be made aware of by your doctor.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I hear that it's 25 too, but that might depend on state and hospital. They want you to wait, so you're 100% sure that, that is the right choice for you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009