Are Christians and Catholics the same religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes
    Anonymous

• thanks. just wondering cause I am catholic but I have seen a lot of bad talking about christians today and wasn't sure if I should defend my religion.
    Anonymous

• Yes and No. Catholics is a specific branch of Christianity. So all Catholics are Christian. However there are many other denominations in Christianity such as Lutheran, Baptist, Angelican, etc. So Not All Christians are Catholics.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• "Christian" is a very broad term used to describe many different religions. It's basically a term for any religion that belives in God and Jesus and follows the bible.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 3:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Christianity is divided into denominations. Catholicism is one very large denomination. The rest are grouped under Protestant denominations, there are more of them than you can count, including the Protestant denomination, Baptist, Episcopalian, Methodist and many, many more. (My apologies to any I have left out) As others have said Christian is a generic term for those who believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• All Catholics are Christians...but not all Christians are Catholics.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yes and No. Catholics are christian, but christians are not catholic.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• lol I didnt read your okmanders
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• ugh...you know with all this denomination stuff here in the US it's no wonder people get confused lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Anyone who believes that Jesus is the son of God is a Christian. Catholicism is a Christian religion. There are many Protestant denominations that are also Christian religions.
    Jewish religion believes in God but not that Jesus is the son of God.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009