Nosebleeds at night

My daughter has been having random nose bleeds but they only occur at night, not every night (hence the word random). She does try to sneak and pick her nose (I will stop her if I see it) but why would it happen only while she is asleep. She seems fine and she doesn't seem to be irritated so should I take her to the doctor? Any ideas if it's serious or not?

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 3:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're running your heater already, it's the dry heat in the house. All you need is a humidifier or a vaporizor in her room. Run it every night to put some moisture in her room.

Also, get her a saline nasal spray and have her use it once before bed. Since she's a child, get her the "Little Noses" saline spray for babies (it's won't squirt as hard as the adult one).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son gets those from time to time. Often its due to dry air. Check the ventilation and heating in her room; if there's too much coming in from the furnace of the AC it can dry the nasal membranes and cause nosebleeds. A humidifier can counteract that.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'd suggest the same thing. One of my nephews gets them totally randomly (could be a coincedence that they've happened only at night) and it's due to dryness. This is particularly true if you live in area that's particularly dry. I'd also check with your doctor to see if there's anything that you should watch for that might indiciate a more serious problem.
    Anonymous

• thanks mamas!
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 4:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009