EWWWW!

we live in a "country" town...so I know this is normal..but I never have had to deal with it before....

A little bit ago...my cat ( not adult yet ) went outside -- which is normal, she goes outside for a littel bit, and then comes and taps on the window when she wants back in. Well I went to tie the dog up, out back, and the cat tried to run in, with a dead rat in her mouth !!! It grossed me out so much, i knocked it out of her mouth, and made her stay outside, I put a little thing over it, that was beside me and cmae back in ( the baby was crying ) ... I didnt know what to do with it...and a few mintues later I went back out to check on them...and the dog and cat was sharing it !

I feel like I have to throw up -- and I am not one of those people who get grossed out easily...but my stomach is turning...I loved that cat ( we were already trying to find a new home for the dog) ...but ( continued in next post )

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 3:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pets

• i cannot stand the thought of her being back in the house...

Can it being in her mouth, bring bad germs and everything to the house... she is a "lovable" cat, so she is always rubbing and licking on me and the kids.....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She was just doing what cats do. The rat probably wasn't all that much worse than cat food. Give her some water and cat treats and she's good to go.

I get grossed out when the dog eats cat poop in the litter box.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Always have your kids wash their hands after handling pets. I do it anyway because I have allergies, but I've taught my son to "pet the cat/dog, wash your hands."

I used to leave a window cracked open in the summer so my cat could come and go as she pleased. I stopped when she brought an adult rabbit in. She left me the head down to the midsection, and was in the processing of consuming the lower half when I got home. Thankfully, I discovered it before my son, as it was in his bathroom. He played in another room until I cleaned it up. I didn't tell him what I found.

What was horrible was that the rabbit's mate (I'm assuming) showed up at the window where my cat had brought her gift in for about a week after it happened. Poor bunny...
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 4:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• wow that is sad about the rabbit
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• So oyu are going to dump your cat because she did what comes natural to her. Way to teach your kids good pet ownership mom. Why are you dumping the dog, because he doesn't match your couch. People never cease to amaze me. Stuffed animals work for people with zero to little heart.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• That's why our cat is an indoor cat only.
    Anonymous

• Wow...you do realize that's normal? Please tell me you rewarded her for bringing you a gift. My granny's cat used to catch me birds. She'd figure out how to get out my window, jump off the roof, and pound piegeons. She'd then drop them at me feet and look up at me all accomplished. Once she stole one back. I always used to give her a little chicken heart as a treat for catching things.

Acid...you made me giggle...the dog didn't match the couch. My dog didn't match the couch either so we bought a new couch :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• How quick you are to judge Acid. You must be perfect and live in a perfect little bubble to be able to pass such judgement.
    I had to get rid of a cat before because of how his behaviour changed, oddly when we got a new couch! lol and then when we had kids. He just couldn't handle all the comotion and constant change. It was for him and the kids that we gave him to my FIL's ex. We knew that she loved him and that it was just her and she knew how he didn't handle change well. So I guess you could say he didn't go with my couch. haha
    It grosses me out when cat's catch things and show them off. Yes I know it's natural for them to do this, is it not natural for me to be grossed out by it?!?!? I totally understand your concerns and such. I hope you can work through it though.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ok first off -- i am not dumping her off...i posted this like within 20 minutes after it happend -- i was really sick about it...which I think is normal --- I also knew it was natural for her to do, and I knew its like a present from her -- but still..to see something that licks your kids and cuddles next to your head at night...to see that thing kill and eat a rat..you wouldnt be normal to not be a little grossed out --- and 2nd we are getting rid of the dog because she is starting to growl at the kids...and as for showing my kids ownership for their pets --- we have had our other cat for 6 years --- and my daughter fills her dish up for food when it is empty...

And since it was so easy for you to assume I would get rid of an animal just becasue they didnt match my couch -- I could assume that you let your animals poop all over your house and you have dead rodents on your floor. Probably not, but that is what I assume.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 8:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I can understand being grossed out by it. It has never bothered me we have a few cats that were hunters and constantly brought us presents so it is not something that really gets to me. As far as the dog goes though have you bothered to have him evaluated by a trainer or a vet to see what is causing this behavior change and try to fix it ? Frankly growling is a good thing because it is a warning telling the kids to back off. What are the kids to doing to get this reaction from the dog. There has to be something that they are doing to trigger it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009