(TMI) A funny smell...

Okay, TMI, but after my DH and I have sex (we are TTC, so no condoms), I always notice that his semen smells funky after an hour or two. And the smell lasts for a day or so, then goes away. Like, the smell from a yeast infection, like rotting fish. It isn't me - I know b/c it is only after sex when he does ejaculate inside me. If he doesn't, no smell. Is this normal? Or is DH sick or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• That is called bacterial vaginosis. It is a super common vaginal infection. It's even more common than a yeast infection, but since the symptoms can be mild (foul odor when combined with seman & maybe an itch) some women have it for years without knowing it.

You can call your doctor for an antibiotic, but there is also a cheaper and healthier way to treat it. Go to the health food store and buy some Grapefruit Seed Extract in tablet or capsule form. (Take care to buy grapefruit seed extract and not grape seed extract). Take it daily as suggested on the label. The smell you're noticing will be gone in less than 2 weeks.

The ph balance of the vagina gets out of whack with bacterial vaginosis. The smell doesn't get noticeable unless it is combined with seman. When seman hits the vagina with bacterial vaginosis it causes a very foul odor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I havent personally run into that. Everyone has a smell but if its that noticable maybe he has an infection that hes not aware of. Does it happen after condom use? If not maybe you have an infection. Not sure GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Agree with above. The tell tale sign is a foul smell after sex! PS ThrivingMom...thanks for that info on the extract! I am pregnant and had one, got put on antibiotics...but HATE taking them because they throw the rest of me all out of whack! I also had a UTI so I went with it...but I will so try that next time!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009