anyone live near a speedway?

Do you live near a speedway? How far away from it are you? Do you hear the noise from it? What about the amount of traffic in your area when there's races.

I'm thinking about moving to a house 5 miles from a speedway but am concerned about the noise.

kitkabob

Asked by kitkabob at 4:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i did for a few years a while back...the traffic was bad on the main roads during the let out of the race...but that was 12 or 1am so it didnt really matter too much...If they had a Sunday race or a day race I would just take the back way out and avoid the main road...i lived probaly 3 miles as the crow flies from the track and every now and then would hear a little rumble--nothing too bad that it kept us awake or anything...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I live 15 miles from Daytona International Speedway and at night when there is a race, we can hear the cars (faintly). There is a smaller race track about 6 miles from the house and we can hear it sometimes too, but not too loudly. I don't think that it will be a huge bother to you at 5 miles away. I was in Daytona over the weekend and there were cars out on the track and we were shopping in a center right next to the track, now that was LOUD!!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I do. It's probably 2 or 3 miles from my house. Yes, I can hear it on summer nights, but it's really not that noisy and they don't race late. Also, I think this one only runs on Saturday nights, so it's not like it's all the time. They usually quit by 10 or 11 pm. I don't know about the traffic, because i'm usually not out that late, but I've never heard anyone complaining about it in relation to the speedway. I've lived here several years, and of all the complaints I have about my area, the racetrack is far, far down the list.
    With yours, I think it's important to find out if you haven't already, when exactly the races are and what time they are required to finish. The city or county noise ordinances will usually mandate a finish time, if late night noise is your concern. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I live about 3 or 4 miles away from one. Summer nights it does get a little noisy, but there are a couple of hills and a lot tree's. About nine years ago I lived closer and it was about the same (noise wise). Kudos to you for taking this into consideration before buying the house. The people in the subdivision a mile from the track are trying to get it shut down because of the noise. The funny thing is, the track has been there for about 50 years while the subdivision is only 10 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2009