Why won't my 7 week old sleep laying down

My 7 week old baby girl will not sleep if daddy or myself lay her down. The only sleep she or myself gets is when she is laying on my stomach or chest. Why is this and is there anything I can do to make her understand that laying down on her own is soooo much more comfotable than laying on mommy or daddy?

MrsGraves09

Asked by MrsGraves09 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Survival. If human babies were left laying around who knows what would happen to them in primative societies. Just like baby apes cling to their mothers, baby humans do not like to sleep laying down by themselves.

Babies don't know they are living in the US and they are being put in a nice crib. Sleeping on mom or dad or in their arms is what feels right to a baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my son also refused to sleep alone/in a crib...i found out that he would sleep in a swing. I guess since it craddles him and makes him feel safe. I then had the swing beside my bed.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son is 8 weeks old and will not sleep unless he can actually feel us. I know it's a terrible habit, but we let him fall asleep while cuddling him, then move him when he's good and asleep. Even then he'll wake up and cry. We got a cosleeper so that when he peeks (opens his eyes briefly while sleeping) he'll see us and go back to sleep.

I read somewhere that when our babies lay on us, our bodies automatically adjust the temp. so that the baby is comfortable. Also, skin on skin contact boosts oxytocin-- the bonding hormone-- which makes them (and us) feel good.

I've been working from home, so I just got a Moby wrap and carry him while he's sleeping. It's been great-- I get work done and he's quite content.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling her? The comfort of the blanket snugly wrapped around her might help. Also, many babies this age have gas/indigestion issues and sleeping flat on their backs just isn't comfortable. Try something on an incline...a swing, a bouncer or even put a small pillow under her crib mattress so that the mattress sits on a slight incline. Finally, when you do lay her down, try patting her chest firmly but gently...the rhythm lets her know you're still there and you may find she quiets down and falls asleep. If it works, do it a little less each time (i.e. stop when she's almost asleep the next time and just drousy the following time, etc.). Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• it's because they can hear your heart beating like they did in the womb. they can feel the rhythm of your breathing and use the heat off your body.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2009