Question about the use of midwives

I used a midwife with my dd and I plan to do so again. I was just wondering what they can do in an emergency situation. I know I asked all this last time and I know she is fully capable of handling things if need be...and I plan to ask her this exact question at my next appt....but what happens if the mother begins bleeding too much? What can be done to help while en route to the hospital? Do they have supplies at the birthing centers? How common is this? Again, I'm gonna ask her...but if any of you are midwives, work with them, have used them, etc... I'm just curious. PS, if you'd like to tell me NOT to use a midwife, don't bother answering. I've done my homework on the subject and statistics and all that, so I don't need to hear you story of a baby that died due to lack of c-section cuz I'll follow it up with one where the mother died from having one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• for bleeding there are herbs some carry Pit
    Anonymous

• Are you talking CNM, CPM, Licensed Midwife, or someone who just calls herself a midwife? Homebirth, freestanding birth center, or birth center attached to the hospital? How far is the hospital away? What kind of services do the ambulances provide?

If you have done your homework and know the statistics then I'm not sure what you are asking. What they can do depends on their qualifications, what the state says they can do, if it's a birthing center then what the birthing center says they can do, and what the hospital says they can do.

They can get the baby breathing.

If you need blood that is something that takes awhile for the lab tests unless it is an extreme emergency and they use universal donor blood.

Usually paramedics can start IVs and give fluids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I used midwives that delievered in a hospital. I was uncomfortable with the idea of a birthing center. I just needed the security of being there. Good luck!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• CPM, freestanding birth center, she has her own emergency vehicle, the hospital is roughly three blocks away.

The research I've done is in regards to the use of midwives as a whole and the safety of doing so, not necessarily on the individual procedures they may use to provide that level of safety. I just didn't want the inevitable bashing of diehard anti-midwife moms. This question is mostly out of curiosity, I've never had an issue with bleeding and have no disorders that would lead me to believe I would. It's just a "wonder how they go about things" question.
    Anonymous

• I would use a mid-wife over a dr. They were in the hospital tho.
    Anonymous

• My midwife gives us the option of a hospital birth or to use the birthing center. The birthing center is only about 5 min away from the hospital. They have all of the supplies needed for routine emergency care until an EMT arrives. At the birthing center she has everything needed to take care of the baby and the mother. have you taken a tour of the birthing center yet? If you haven't I say go in and look around. Look at the medical equipment and ask the birthing assistants about their training. It's never wrong to ask too many questions about something like this.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• it sounds like you are talking about home birth midwives. i had a hospital CNM although i would love to have a homebirth. imo midwives are more capable than OBs in most birth situations. and midwives are very good at recognizing the few situations in which an OB would be better =) congrats!
    Anonymous

• oh i see in your responses that you are talking about birthing center. i think that is great as well.
    Anonymous