Since school started, my five -year old is HoRRIBLE!

I am battling with a five year old son who has had 'one thing ' after another happening lately. He has spit on other people's food during lunchtime, isn't listening or following directions at home, and I don't know what to do! I've already made an appointment with a psychologist for later this week but between now and then, I don't know what to do..>!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he an older 5 yr old or a younger? It does make a difference. Keep discipline consistant. Best of luck to you.
    Anonymous

• He is a younger five year old. He attended preschool for two years and never had a problem! The school I have him at is a great one, as I also teach her. I have no idea why he is acting out like this, especially when he gets tons of attention.
    SandyJo31

Answer by SandyJo31 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Homeschool?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• He's doing it BECAUSE he's getting attention. You need to set it up so he's isolated when he acts like that, so he doesn't get the attention he's wanting, and make a big deal of him when he's behaving appropriately. If he spits on someone else's food, make him trade plates. They get the clean one, he gets the one he spit on and if the teachers can manage it, move him to a table so he's sitting alone and can't spit on anyone else.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009