Question/Vent about buying a house...

Ok so if you were approved to buy a house and had to pay $0 down payment and ALL you had to pay was a $475 appraisal fee AND you could afford the payments (the payments would be no more than $165 more than what you were paying to rent an aparment right now and that includes the house indsurance too) then why wouldn't you go for it? Why wouldn't you get the house if you like it?
We found a house that is REALLY big and has lots of room and space, has a decent sized fenced in backyard, storage shed, and garage. We live in a 2 bd apartment right now that is seriously maybe 700 sq ft and Im pregnant with #2 right now and seriously NEED the extra space. Why wouldn't you go for it? He changes his mind EVERY single day and it doesnt mix well with my pregnancy hormones lol
There are no signs of anything being wrong with the house and we can afford it so why the hell does he not want to go for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• And the only answer I've got from him the past few days is "I dont know, I'm still thinking about it".
    What is there to think about???? Gahhhh!
    Anonymous

• lol, I'm having the same issue...when he explains it to you, let me know! (Not pregnant, but aside from that it's essentially the same)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You should alway put money down on a home. This way you would everthing to not loose that money you put down. At least 10%t. If you don't have at least that then you shouldn't get that home. That how most people got into trouble to begin with by having no down.
    Anonymous

• It's the commitment. I felt the same way before we bought our house. This is a 30 year commitment for a house. How long do you plan to stay in the house? Have you checked the location as far as schools and utilities? I know where we live some utility companies cost more than in other areas..
    Anonymous

• Maybe he's afraid you'll be turned down for a mortgage and somehow disappoint you?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You should be able to get a house for less than you pay for rent. My son just bought a house in Tucson with downpayment assistance and the house payments with insurance and escrow (whatever that is) and taxes and everything is $511 a month.

The house was just remodled with a new kitchen, floors, bathroom, and paint. And it has a pool, big fenced yard, and smaller fenced dog run. And he gets the first time homebuyers tax credit. You know the IRS just sends you a check for $8000 and you can do whatever you want with it.

If he isn't sure about this house keep looking until he is sure. I wasn't sure about a couple my son was looking at and he didn't like some I thought were good deals - and then we found the right one.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Perhaps if the roles were reverse and you were working and had to pay that mortgage yourself you would understand.  It's a very heavy responsibility on his shoulders then a family to boot. 

Anonymous

• Guys are by nature "providers" and they are thinkers too! They do not want to make a bad situation worse! There are a lot of things that look good in the moment and can get us in the end financially! Guys just want to have time to think it through! He is probably over analyzing the fact that this is a house and a little more money and there is a baby on the way! Give him time he is just wanting to make the best choices for his family! The fact that he is taking his time shows that he cares! Give him his space to think it through! Good Luck and I hope all works out!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• A house means you're stuck living on that street, that city, state. You can't pick up and go out West or wherever new adventure lies. You have to worry about being able to sell the house. It is a burden.
    Anonymous

• its scary to commit to such a huge financial leap! my DH was the same way before we bought our new house & our mortgage is only $6 more a month than renting. i bet that, added to the cost of another child, he's prolly stressing out about it.

what i would tell him is that if you dont close before December 1, 2009 you DO NOT get the $8,000 tax credit. and its literally a check for $8000 that you dont have to pay back. you can do A LOT w/ $8000, trust me haha we did.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009