How should i be disciplining my son who will be 4 in two months?

My son has started to be very naughty. He [Was] completely potty trained but has pee'd in his underwear 3 times a day the past 3 days. He has been hitting and kicking his sisters and its really starting to aggravate me. I do not want to spank him, so please don't reply with that! But thanks a lot in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

Chelsiielayne07

Asked by Chelsiielayne07 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would start with timeouts and taking toys away...things of that nature. Generally the rule is 1 minute in timeout for every year old the child is. So in your son's case...3 minutes until he turns 4 and then 4 minutes and so on. Put him in the corner or in a chair in another room removed from everyone. Make him sit there for the full time and if he keeps getting out of timeout or isn't quiet...time starts over. It might be hard at first but stick to your guns and eventually he'll get the picture. Watch Supernanny if all else fails. haha She has some really good ideas.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Punishments like time outs and taking toys away don't teach good behavior. They can make kids behave worse, be sneaky, resent their parents, or disrespect their parents. Punishment is not the way to go. Unfortunatly that is the only way most parents know how to discipline.

I recommend the books Love & Limits and Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called Star Parenting. Here is a link to the website and a parenting chart you can print out for your fridge.

http://www.starparent.com/about/print.html

STAR Parenting is a powerful, focused approach to child guidance. STAR Parenting gives you a problem-solving process and 5 general strategies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• PLEASE try the videos called 1-2-3 Magic about discipline by Dr. Thomas W. Phelan...I happened to notice one of his videos at my library and it is awesome advice! The video ran about 2 hours, but his suggestions can be used immediately! You may be able to find out more online, good luck!
    mlellis70

Answer by mlellis70 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Hey, Gailll, is that the lady that raised a ton of foster kids, who all had severe problems? I have heard she took "undisciplinable" kids, and disciplined them! Without spanking, of course.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• 1-2-3 Magic is really good, Parenting with Love and Logic is really good. But please don't punish for pee accidents. Punishment and/or shame really should have no place in potty training which is just normal development. It's common for children to regress when they are under other stresses, seen or unseen.
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone for your suggestions! <3
    Chelsiielayne07

Answer by Chelsiielayne07 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• First, you need to find out why he is wetting his pants and being aggressive. Then get the book, "1 2 3 Magic" and read it all the way through and then follow it. It is a common sense approach to discipline that does NOT involve physical punishment. I would NOT punish for him wetting his pants, especially if there is something wrong. Don't shame him, don't spank him, don't embarrass him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009