What should I do? Do I believe my son?

My son is in first grade this year and one day he came home with a big hole in his pants... he told me that this one kid brought scissors to recess and cut his pants. I was like "yeah right... tell me the truth" he stuck to his story. A couple weeks later my son had a bald spot on his head, I asked him about it and he told me that the same kid who cut his pants, had cut his hair.

I usually catch my son in a lie (he lies a lot more nowadays) by telling him that I am going to do something about it and he comes clean and says "I was just joking mom"... both of these time, he stuck to his story.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would contact the teacher at the very least. Say that he had the hole and the hair missing and see what she says about it. If she doesn't know tell her what your son is saying and see what she says.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Talk to the teacher.... whether it is another kid or just your kid they are obviousally not being well supervised w/the scissors and I would be concerned.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would call the teacher and tell her what your son said. Be honest and say you aren't sure whether or not to believe your son.

Does your son tell you the child's name or does he just say "some kid"?
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would assume he is telling the truth if this is out of character for him. I would definitely contact the teacher and I would ask your son to give you the name of the child that is doing this. The kid should NOT be bringing scissors to school that are sharp enough to cut cloth or hair! I thought first graders were only allowed those safety scissors that barely cut paper. The offending child could be a real menace. What if he decides to take a chunk out of your son's skin next time? He's progressed from his pants and now to his hair...... I would also stress the importance of honesty to your son and that if he is lying about this situation it will be very hard for you to believe anything he says in the future. Maybe you should read him the story about the boy who cried wolf.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• "Does your son tell you the child's name or does he just say "some kid"?"

Yes, my son has told me who it is. He talks about this kid picking on him all the time.

-OP

Anonymous

• Tell your son that you and him are going to go talk to the teacher and principal. He is going to tell them which kid did this. If he is lying he will fess up. If he is not lying then you will know who is bullying him.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 5:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Give him the belief of the doubt. Do talk to his teach if their is anything going on in the classroom with this other children. If this other child has been a problematic problem with other kids.

Anonymous

• talk the the teacher asap. your son is being bullied. right now its a cut in the jeans, cutting the hair, what's next? I would be very concerned about a child with scissors being unsupervised (and obviously up to no good). If this boy is cutting your son's hair, those scissors are in fact considerded a weapon by our schools definition.

Let us know what happens please. I hope all goes well.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I know that there were issues before with this kid and another one... the teacher let me know at the last teacher conference that the kids were seperated because my son was following the bad things that they were doing. I just called the school and asked them if I could set up a meeting with her. I gave them my cell to give to her but I am work 'til 4 so hopefully I can still talk to her later incase I miss her call because I am not allowed to have my cell phone at work and school gets out at 3:20.

-OP
    Anonymous

• I would beleive him and inquire with the teacher to get to the bottom of the story.

Answer by older at 5:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009