Stuck in a rut

I am starting my Christmas Shopping and I realized I am kind of stuck in a rut. I always get my mother something decorative with an angel on it. My sisters always get jewelry (usually handmade by me). My MIL gets bath stuff. I am tired of doing the same old-same old. I need ideas for something new but I keep getting drawn to the same things. I have seen 2 angels in the last two days my mother would want, I bought beads for a necklace for my sister... Help! Any ideas for new things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Holidays

• I also have trouble buying for my family! The kids are easy, its the adults that I often find myself buying the same things for year after year. Is there a particular author any of them prefer? YOu could look for autographed books. I also like making little personalized baskets depending on what they like. My sister is learning how to cook healthy homemade meals now, and so this year I will buy her a little colander and fill it with a mini cook book, a oven thermometer, oven mitt, and other little assorted kitchen items. My mom likes to relax and read when she gets the chance, so I think I might get her a little reading lamp along with a few books. My husband's family likes homemade gifts, so I will make for his mom and dad a nice bread mix from scratch, layered in a big glass jar, and 2 oversized coffee mugs with a packet of hot cocoa each, 2 peppermint sticks, a little piece of chocolate each.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Why don't you switch their gifts around give you mom jewelry or bath stuff, give your sister angel or bath stuff and so on. Or perfume is always nice, a good book, gift certificate to restaurant, movies, spa. Silky nice pajamas. Wine and cheese basket.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 5:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• How about making them each a gift basket full of many different things... bath items, hand towels, a piece of jewerly made by you ...
    How about a cheese and wine basket?
    A Movie night basket, maybe a dvd that they want with popcorn, or gift cards to a movie rental ... anything yo find at a movie theater...
    Do you have a baker, make a bakers basket, pans, mixes, oven mitts, etc...
    Then look for shrink wrap at a craft store and place the baskets in the wrap with bows at the top...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Buy different things this year. Try new recipes also.
    Anonymous

• www.photoworks.com is a very cool site. You can create your own special effects in editing for no extra cause so you can make these really cool photos that look like they were made in a high end photo shop for .15! Tons of great photo gifts too. Making something person is always a great option!
    Anonymous

• If you all live in the same city. I would give them gift certificates for all of you to have lunch or dinner with a movie afterwards. Or give them each a frame then make an appointment to have your picture taken together. A bottle of wine with a note saying bring this to my home on this date.................... for an evening of sisterly/ mother bonding.
    If not maybe you could give them all the same book or DVD and then you can all discuss it. (A family book and/or movie club). Make a slide show set to music with pictures of all of you growing up. Sometimes when we have children of our own that we are still children to our parents as well as a sibling.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 9:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009