anyone suffer from frequent UTIs have this happen? I went in to ER last

Thursday night with a HORRIBLE UTI infection that came up very suddenly. Stop reading now if you don't want the gory details.

No symptoms at all until that night then WHAMMO sick as can be and ran to ER for help. I get in there, can't walk straight, in constant pain in lower abdomen (not just when I pee, which is excruciating), and peeing big blood clots.

They put me on 500mg cipro, 2 x's a day for 10 days, and give me that stuff that makes your pee orange LOL but is supposed to help with the pain. I fill the Rxs that night and take them right away and do start to feel improvement.

Taking the antibiotics but still ran a low grade temp all weekend! 99.5 all weekend long and still all day today. Called my regular doctor and she said see how it goes?

I don't have flank/back pain and only mild nausea, nothing serious, just general exhaustion. Been on meds since Thursday. Why this fever??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Health

• 99.5 doesn't seem like a bad fever. My normal temp is 97.8, so that would be a low fever for me, but if your normal temp is 98.6, then it is only up a little. And temperatures fluctuate throughout the day. Of course I'm not in the medical field. It may be that you had such a bad infection that it is taking a long time to get over it. Your doctor's advice sounds reasonable to me. Maybe call in another couple days if your temp is still elevated. I finally went to urologist about the problem and am on a very low dose of med a couple times a week that keeps the problem in check. You may want to go to a urologist if you haven't yet. I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 5:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• thanks Bmat! I generally run a little lower too like 98.2 or 98.4 is normal for me and I just "feel hot" and exhausted at 99.5. I am so sick of UTIs! And I never get a warning, they just come on so fast and are horrible. I am seeing a urologist in January, soonest I could get an appointment after the last UTI I had a couple months ago! They put me on top of the cancellation list after this last one so hopefully I'll get in sooner.
    Anonymous

• Peeing big blood clots? You need to see a urologist now! I'm a Clinical Lab Technologist and doing urines used to be my job when I first started out as a medical lab tech. If the clots were in your urine and you could see them and they weren't coming from your vagina you could have serious problems.

I looked it up to be sure and all ages of people should have a full workup by a urologist if you see blood clots in your urine.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Good you are seeing a urologist. Sex can give you utis. You can take an antibiotic after every time you have sex to help prevent it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Thanks for the responses. Gailll yes it was absolutely in my urine (not even close to TTOM). Now I'm a bit scared. The ER doctor never mentioned a thing nor does my regular dr seem to think it was a big deal. I half think she didn't believe me! Ugh!!!
    Anonymous