RELACTATION?? HELP PLEASE!!!

I have a question about relactation. I breastfed exclusively for 6 weeks, then supplemented 2 bottles a day for the next 2 weeks after I returned to work. Then breastfeeding became a nightmare because of my work schedule and not having time to pump, and so forth. Recently my daughter, who will be 4 months on the 11th, came down with a cold, and when I took her to the doctor, he told me that had I been breastfeeding she probably would have not gotten it in the first place, or would have fought it quicker. This kinda made me feel bad, seeing as how I was extremely passionate about breastfeeding in the beginning but only stopped because of work. I am now in the process of being switched back to my original schedule, which will allow me to start BF'ing again. I also heard about using an SNS or Lact-aid to allow her to stimlate the breast and encourage production. I also started takin fenugreek and pumping again. Any advice??

babygurl9876

Asked by babygurl9876 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i'm sorry i do not have any advice but i wanted to say that i think there is a relactation group here on CM. good luck! i think that it is great that your doctor advocates breastfeeding but at the same time i think it was wrong of him to make you feel guilty. my son has been breastfed for 2 years, and he gets loads of colds :( maybe he would get more or have them for longer if he wasn't breastfed but anyway... good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• YES YOU CAN!1 PUT BABYTO BREAST NURSE ON DEMAND, UPTAKE YOUR FLUIDS 64 OZ DAY. KEEP PUMPING EVRY 2 HRS IS BEST!! MOTHERS MILK TEA WORKS GREAT FOR SOME(TRY IT) I KNOW YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN SNS SYTME SO GOOGLE THAT!! GOOD LUCK
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't have any advice to offer on relactation, but your doctor sucks to put that kind of a guilt trip on you!!! There is absolutely NO way to know if she would have still caught the cold or not. Kids catch colds. It happens.

If you're working, she's in daycare? There's no way she's going to attend daycare and NOT get sick at some point.

Good luck with your endeavor...kudos to you for wanting to do this, but I wish it was because you wanted to, not because you were guilted into it by some jerk.
    Anonymous

• The SNS is a pain to use and clean. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are working with a lactation consultant. It is more for adoptive nursing.

The most important thing is if she will nurse. If so start nursing as often as possible if she is still sick. Breastfeed every 3-4 hours. You can use one breast for nursing and pump the other at the same time. Next time use the other for nursing and switch off. At night you can just breastfeed or if she doesn't wake up then pump.

All relactation is is getting the baby back on the breast and increasing supply. It can be easy or very difficult depending on the situation.

www.kellymom.com is a good website for bf info
    www.mothering.com has breastfeeding discussion boards
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• First of all, even though your doctor was right, that breastfed babies don't get sick as often or as severely, he should never have said it to you in that manner. However, I'm glad it has you thinking about relactating :)

The trick is to get the baby to the breast as often as possible. Just start doing it and keep trying. Work with a lactation consultant or a La Leche League leader in your area for guidance (because we can't see you or physically coach you, you should have local support).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i'm not 100% sure. but i would think you can do that being that i've not been bf-ing for almost 4 months and still leaking!! lol so i say research like crazy, and call a lactation consultant (la leche league, etc) and gl to you!!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Thanks guys :)
    BTW, I didn't only decide to just start BFing again because of the cold...I ultimately wanted to, but didn't know that it was an option to start again until the doc said it to me....then he urged me to talk to the LC (whom I haven't been able to reach) so I have been doing alot of online research about it. I am pretty sure this probably won't be easy, but I am so ready to start again. I miss the closeness with my lil Bug :)
    babygurl9876

Answer by babygurl9876 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• well i do think it's good that he told you about relactation. i think hardly any doctors would ever tell about that. =) good luck to you!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009