what happens if you DONT sign a citation that a police officer gives you?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 5:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• In my state, you still have to pay or go to court. By not signing, you are saying that you don't understand or dispute the charge.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I don't know. Basically the signature is not an admission of guilt, it's just saying that you received the ticket and instructions for court. I guess they might be able to arrest you if you refused to sign. Kinda like you can be arrested if you refuse a breathalyzer or rad-side sobriety test. I'm really not sure.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 5:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Check with the police or a lawyer in your state. Every state has different rules. I googled and got this: By signing the citation, you are not admitting guilt. By signing, you are saying you will appear in court on the date indicated on the citation to defend yourself against the charge. In a sense, the signature works as an O.R. (Own Recognisance) bond, if you refuse to sign, you will go immediately to jail. You are then presenting yourself in lieu of presenting a signature. I have been a police officer for ten years, 3 in Oklahoma and 7 in Washington. I'm not sure what state you are writing in from, but I can tell you, I've brought more than one person in each state to jail for refusing to sign. from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_if_you_refuse_to_sign_a_traffic_ticket Also in some states it is a misdemeanor to not sign. so be careful about this.

SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You get arrested!!!!!!

Answer by older at 5:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Suzanne are you a cop?
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Anonymous