has anyone had to report a baby with no carseat?

today i had to report a mom. i was in the car with ds was dh was with dd in the store getting dipaers, anyways they pull up next to our car and i see the mom holding her bbay in the backseat. i also see she has a carseat except. onethe bbay is not in the carseat, the carseat isnt properly install, it wasnt even buckled in, it was facing the window. i called the police and reported her. but by the time the police got there they were gone. the officer called me and thanked me. i had taken a picture of their plates and he said they were gonna run them in the system. he also told me that they get alot of calls about situations like this and that a lot of babies have died or been injured cuz parenst dont use the carseat or dont use them the correct way. tell em your story!

piwife

Asked by piwife at 5:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• How aweful!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My DH and I were driving and an SUV pulled up next to us and they had a toddler in their lap in the front. We kept following them and DH was about to call the cops when we saw one sitting off the side of the road. It was night so he could not see the kid in the front when the car went by. We stopped and told him and he went and pulled the car over. I hated to tell on someone but it was their fault and the baby would have been the one hurt bc of a dumb parent.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I've done it before.

one of those things that just sits there in your heart hoping that nothing happened to the baby.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• How if they pulled the baby out of the carseat cause it was crying or choking and they wanted to calm it down or they just took the baby out of the carseat when they were pulling in to the parking lot?

I see people do this all the time but usually the kid is on their lap while they are driving or jumping around. These are the kind of people I would report.
    Anonymous

• Anon, read the post. They pulled up like that.

It is never acceptable to take a baby out of their car seat if the car is moving. Last year in the next town over, a baby died after being thrown from the car. If the baby had been in a properly installed seat, they said the baby would have lived. The mom was holding the baby in the back seat.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No, but I almost reported a baby in the front seat. In the carrier, but still rear facing in the front seat. Made me MAD!
    Anonymous

• last anon, I think that's actually legal (terrible, though) IF your airbag is off.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

the bay wasnt crying, she was sleeping. you knwo what my kids cry when they are in the car. but am not gonna take them out. and what about thye carseat not being properly install, yeah nice try making excuses for a bad parent
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Parents that don't care enough to put there kids in carseats, shouldn't have kids. My daughter is 7yrs old and has used a car seat everytime when in the car. She might not like it, but too bad. The other day I was waiting at the end of the rd. waiting for my daughter bus to get here and I saw a small car drive by there was 3-4 people in the back seat(all looked like kids that should be either in a car seat or seat belt and the driver..and the passenger was holding a young child maybe 1-2yrs old.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My neighbor did this just yesterday! I was out raking leaves and she drove by with her son in the front seat unrestrained! He is turning 2 in Jan! His head was resting on the dashboard and it made me sick. She is ALWAYS yelling at her kids and I feel so bad for them. I don't know what I can do for them, but I just can't sit here and do nothing about it! I have never "seen" anything other than that that I could call her in for, she is just a bad parent. And I don't say that lightly...she is terrible to her 3 kids
    Anonymous