Almost 7 year old seems to be getting a bad attitude...

He's usually a happy kid but lately when he doesn't get his way he pouts or talks back - even to his teacher. We have explained to him that bad attitudes don't solve any problems and that he is welcome to TALK to us if something is wrong, but he seems more content to pout, walk away or huff and puff...I assume some of this comes from seeing other kids at school doing it but what is a good way to get him to see that it gets him nowhere and that communicating your feelings doesn't mean having to be so rude and dramatic!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have the same problem with my stepkids. The 5yr old saw the 7yr old doing it and getting her way from grandparents, and started the hissy fits. Since I became the step parents they have almost gone away. Depending on why they are having the tantrum, etc. I take something away or we go to a corner until it is done. I do not acknowledge the tantrum other than to say corner and refuse to say anything else until it stops. I rarely have a problem out of the 5yr old anymore. When I do the tantrum only last a few seconds. You will have to of course adjust to what works for you and your family.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009